4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Change grille from Laramie to Billett type

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:57 PM
rervf23
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change grille from Laramie to Billett type

Would it be a big job to change a Laramie grille to the Big Horn billet type grille. I was looking at a Laramie with all the toys, but I really don't like the grille in it. This would be a 2009 model for both vehicles.

Bob

Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 PM
War Horse
All Star

You'll want to swap the whole grille from one truck to the other. I haven't tried it, but I've heard on here getting the inserts in and out are quiet troublesome. Besides, both have the chrome outter crosshairs, so no one will ever know.

As you're closing the deal with the dealer, just mention it to the sales person. They should have no trouble at all letting, or even helping you swap them out. No one should say no to putting in a newer Laramie grille into the truck they're getting.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All it takes is 5 minutes to swap them both out, but make sure you lay down some painters tape so that you dont scratch the fugg outta anything... including the grill`s.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 PM
War Horse
All Star

Originally Posted by LU229
All it takes is 5 minutes to swap them both out, but make sure you lay down some painters tape so that you dont scratch the fugg outta anything... including the grill`s.

Yes, this plus some. Getting those bottom clips loose is a total pain without a long screw driver and some finesse. Slip just the wrong way and you'll gouge the paint or scratch something else.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 PM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by War Horse
Yes, this plus some. Getting those bottom clips loose is a total pain without a long screw driver and some finesse. Slip just the wrong way and you'll gouge the paint or scratch something else.
Thats why i mentioned painters tape... i use the blue 2inch wide painters tape. Tape EVERYTHING, the top of the bumper, and all around the grill... the tape will protect everything. You`ll never scratch a thing doing it that way.

As for the lower lock tabs in the grill, (you dont need a screwdriver) i made 2 "pull hooks" out of coat hangers, dipped the ends in plasti-dip, (so they wouldnt scratch the grill or leave marks) works perfect for popping the lower part of the grill out. One quick snap, the grill is in your hands. Check for the metal clips before re-installing the grill... sometimes those lil bazderds can fly away on ya.

Quick Reply: Change grille from Laramie to Billett type