4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Opinion on ram 1500 or durango

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Wuaname
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on ram 1500 or durango

Hello all,

New durango rt owner and no im not in the wrong forum section lol. I was in a dilema to get either the ram quad cab or durango but decided to go the suv route for my usage (camping; mountain and road bikng, and one 13 yr old). i figured it would be easier to travel in the suv and leave everything in the back vs in the bed of a pickup . I did think of getting a locking cover for the bed. Towing needs? None, lol but the hemi was the right compromise; my son wanted me to get another mustang 5.0 (had one b4) and i needed something with some capacity to carry our stuff around and didnt want to give up all the creature comforts i had on my most recent car, a lexus is250.

But after driving the durango rt for a week i think it looks more and more like either a minivan or the next phase of mini vans to make them look more manly lol. I dont eve. Need the feakin third row seat!! Lol. The rumble on the exhaust and sporty look sold me.

I went by the dealer yesterday and looked at a 13 ram quad sport for the same price and even a 13 grand cherokee looks better i think on

Has anyone been in this scenario deciding between the ram or durango?

Tks

Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM
gutty96
Veteran

I am currently thinking about going the other way, and trading in the RAM for a Citadel.

I could use the extra interior space more thank the box.

I think the Durango is a beautiful ride. I would just keep yours, you are going to lose too much in the deal.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:43 PM
War Horse
All Star

The Durango is very nice, and if it would have been out when I bought my RAM in 2009, I would have looked into it. I came from an SUV (Nissan Xterra), so it would have been a nice upgrade to go from that to a Durango.

As nice as the Durango is though, I just fell in love with the 4th Gen RAM. I'd always like the RAM since the 2nd Gen, but when the new 4th Gen came out I was sold. Do I really need all the truck I have, probably not. I worked the heck out of the Nissan, but another SUV or wagon would have done the job for us. I fell in love though, so gas mileage and daily driver practicality be damned, I knew I had to have one.

I think you're right on how SUVs, CUVs in particular, have morphed into a step above a minivan. And it's all because of the astigmatism that minivans come with. Hell, I'm guilty. With what I really need and can use, a Caravan RT would be perfect for my family. But, as much as I try, I just can't bring myself to really consider one. It's funny though, a minivan is my prime choice for a rental when we take a family road trip to see relatives this holiday season. No way I'm going to load everything up into the RAM and hit the road for a cross country trip getting 14MPG, not to mention the wear and tear.

Last edited by War Horse; 08-06-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM
baum
Professional

I just traded in a '11 durango for a '13 crew cab. i have to say i was a little disappointed with the passenger area in the durango (i had a heat model with only 2 rows of seats). My son is in a rear facing child seat and it can not fit in the middle of the d without having both seats up so far i would hit the steering wheel. so i put it behind the pass seat and my wife would hug the dash (good thing she is only like 5'4"). with the ram i had the seat behind me and i fit comfortable.

she would also "rip" on me for driving a mini-van...

Old 08-06-2013, 03:15 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All 3 are nice vehicles, although honestly I don't see enough difference between a Durango and a Grand Cherokee to consider changing from one to the other.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:12 PM
gutty96
Veteran

Originally Posted by oldjeep
All 3 are nice vehicles, although honestly I don't see enough difference between a Durango and a Grand Cherokee to consider changing from one to the other.
7 seats vs 5 seats is a big difference to some.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but he already has the Durango (w/7) - if he wants to go to 5 seats then just fold the 3rd row down. And unless you are a circus midget the 3rd row isn't particularly usefull

Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 PM
gutty96
Veteran

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Yes, but he already has the Durango (w/7) - if he wants to go to 5 seats then just fold the 3rd row down. And unless you are a circus midget the 3rd row isn't particularly usefull
Sorry, I was replying in general about the 7 vs 5 seats, not specific to the OP.

Actually, I am 5'11" (not huge, but not short) and I was quite comfortable in the 3rd row of the 2013 the wife and I test drove a while back.

Quick Reply: Opinion on ram 1500 or durango