4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Can't believe I'm considering another brand

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I would ever go with anything under 3.9s. I had the 3.9s in my old hemi and it did awesome. I have since upgraded to a 1 ton, and lost the 3.9 to a 3.7. I can tell a little on the difference, but again I am running a different motor. It I were to ever go back to a half ton, I wouldn't suit for anything under a 3.9. Especially if you are going to tow... However you are putting it on a 8 speed transmission now, so I am sure that doing a 3.9 is even better.

I have not drove anything with the air ride, I only have been in HDs with helper bags, which is no comparison. I do know however that out of any half ton truck I have been in (later than 09) none compare to that of the ram. No one can touch the use of the coils in the rams IMO. I bet whoever you talk to that has a 1/2 ton wouldn't trade those coils for anything. I think that they are a little sloppier when towing, but a set of bags and load rated tires will solve that instantly.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 AM
MDSledHead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm still full of questions. I over-analyze everything (funny how "****" is in analyze).

Between the tranny's, the final drive is the same ratio... the "next gear down" is not too different either. And the one below that (4th vs 6th) is 1.00. So why does the 8 speed get 21 hwy while the 6 speed only gets 19 hwy in the 4x4?
My guess is that the 6 speed comes with the 3.55 rears and the 8 speed has the 3.21 rears.
One would think that given the same rear end, both transmissions would get the same MPG highway. I can understand the differences in city driving.

Thoughts?

Any other thoughts about the air suspension vs standard coilover ride? I know the air would be better when towing, but would it be much different just riding down the road?

BTW...Great discussion

Old 08-12-2013, 07:07 PM
stumblingthru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way I can explain the better mileage with the 8 speed is it is a fully electronic transmission that keeps the engine in the power band. I can't explain it further than this but was told this by the Service Manager, my salesman and even the parts guy. I get 32 mpg with the Charger (3.6L Pentastar with 8 speed auto) and it's got tons of get up and go. Don't get me wrong as I love the 6 speed but that 8 speed is THE tranny of the future.

Quick Reply: Can't believe I'm considering another brand