4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Crew Cabs with Bed Caps

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:11 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by War Horse
I'd check around before purchasing one. I've seen a few running around town (crew cab/short bed). The problem area is the whale tail on the tailgate. When the 4th Gens came out, the initial caps just had no idea what to do with the tailgate area, and about 99% of them looked like crap. I have seen a couple of newer trucks with caps though that seem to manage that area a little better.

Ya that is one of the areas I am worried about. But unless you go with a hard tonneau cover I am going to have that problem and I don't want another one of those covers.

Oh, and as for the RAM on the rear, it's recessed and bolted on. If you take it off, you'll have a lip there and 2 bolt holes (I think it's 2, maybe 3 though). I've only seen one guy on here that has went through the headache of taking it off and then getting it filled in by a body shop. It looks great, and I'd love to do it, but no way I'm throwing down that kind of cash. That's why most folks just go the custom badge route, or do like I did and just black them out with Plasti-Dip.

Thanks that is what I thought. I am with you I am not paying to have it covered. I am leaning towards just keeping it there for now.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:18 AM
War Horse
All Star

If you're looking for something to protect small cargo from the weather, check out Bak Industries and their line of flipping/rolling covers. I had a hard tonneau on mine right after I bought it. I hated it and couldn't wait to get it off since it was impossible to get on and off when I hauled stuff.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:49 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

If you're looking for something to protect small cargo from the weather, check out Bak Industries and their line of flipping/rolling covers. I had a hard tonneau on mine right after I bought it. I hated it and couldn't wait to get it off since it was impossible to get on and off when I hauled stuff.

I have thought about those the only reason I want a cap is because I have dogs and move quite often, most times from one coast to the other. A cap would help me keep them out of the cab when the weather isn't very nice when travel.

On the other side a soft cover is easier to store (at least a imagine) then a hard or rolling cover.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a cap for the days we have bad weather and I need to keep things dry. I also used to put my dogs back there but now I only have one lab and she travels in the cab. I put detachable Yakima racks on the cap and when needed I can carry long boards on top, that was really handy when I build my deck. It's also handy on long trips as I can pack it full without anything flying off the back. Many reasons to have a shell.

I prefer the cap (camper shell, out west) off my truck. So I just remove when not in need. I put cargo hooks on the rafters in my garage and I use ratcheting straps to lift the cap off my truck. I just ratchet it up until it hits the joists. I lift it off by myself, takes me about 15-20 minutes.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 03-18-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 PM
tommyexpress
Amateur

My leer has a cap that covers the tailgate end cap, goes on with 3m tape, looks good and its only touching the end cap,, not on paint.will try and get ya a pic if i get home before dark...

Old 03-19-2014, 06:42 PM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
I have a cap for the days we have bad weather and I need to keep things dry. I also used to put my dogs back there but now I only have one lab and she travels in the cab. I put detachable Yakima racks on the cap and when needed I can carry long boards on top, that was really handy when I build my deck. It's also handy on long trips as I can pack it full without anything flying off the back. Many reasons to have a shell.

I prefer the cap (camper shell, out west) off my truck. So I just remove when not in need. I put cargo hooks on the rafters in my garage and I use ratcheting straps to lift the cap off my truck. I just ratchet it up until it hits the joists. I lift it off by myself, takes me about 15-20 minutes.

That's a good idea. You have it when you need and when you don't need it, it is out of the way.

Originally Posted by tommyexpress
My leer has a cap that covers the tailgate end cap, goes on with 3m tape, looks good and its only touching the end cap,, not on paint.will try and get ya a pic if i get home before dark...
Cool thanks.

Quick Reply: Crew Cabs with Bed Caps