4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

4th Gen Stainless Works Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014 | 09:29 PM
Talon_66
|
Professional
Default 4th Gen Stainless Works Headers

There will be some rambling in this first post.

I previously had JBA Shorty headers installed, and got a screaming deal on the Group buy so I purchased these headers.

Due to my late start in the day, and doing a driveway install I didn't wrap up the install today.

I started by undoing the o2 sensors (4), then removing the factory Y pipe.

Next I tackled the passenger side as it is the easiest, removal of the JBA headers went smoothly and install of the SW headers went into place without a problem.

I was starting to lose daylight so I tackled the driver side JBA header removal next, after a lot of swearing and almost 1 hour on one bolt I finally got the header out. But stopped because I was cold, and had no more light. I will complete the install tomorrow.

One thing to Note: If you have air ride suspension like I do, the air line (nitrogen) will physically touch and run beside the headers, so I had to cut the plastic clips and zip tie it to a new location on the passenger side, Im sure I will have issues on the driver side also
Name:  IMG_20140216_104935.jpg
Views: 2098
Size:  110.2 KB

Reasons for my late start today:
1. had to wash my truck
2. lost my locking lug nut key
3. had to go to the dealership to buy a new one
4 discovered paint scratches on my passenger side rambox lid, spaz attack ensued.
5. Text the guys I drive up to work, as they pull their bags out of the box of my truck, so 1 or all of them are guilty for scratching my paint.

hoping to have pictures tomorrow of the finished product.

Day 2:
Well the install is all wrapped up. These headers are definitely louder then the stock or even JBA headers.
With the radio turned down you can definitely hear the exhaust 'tick' on the driver side. I did a quick drive around my neighbourhood, so I didn't really open it up but it's definitely a lot louder under throttle.
I would say there idle is a bit louder but nothing overly extreme.

I also used Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts to ensure no leaks.

Now for my my complaint: The o2 extenders, 4 were included... But they did not reach the rear o2 sensors.
Stainless Works shipped me 4 extra o2 Extenders, so that issue was fixed

This little shield was in the way on the driver side and had to be removed.

Install went very smooth as far as the piping goes.
It looks like Fedex wasn't too gentle
Name:  IMG_20140216_125615.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  100.7 KB

Attached Thumbnails 4th Gen Stainless Works Headers-img_20140216_140058.jpg   4th Gen Stainless Works Headers-img_20140216_140032.jpg   4th Gen Stainless Works Headers-img_20140216_140048.jpg   4th Gen Stainless Works Headers-img_20140216_140044.jpg  

Last edited by Talon_66; 03-18-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2014 | 09:34 PM
Talon_66
|
Professional

And here are the pics from under the truck:

Here you can see the clearance of the trans pan on the 8spd

I ended up wrapping this 90 with DEI Heat wrap where it comes close to the transmission Pan.

Old 03-18-2014 | 09:37 PM
Talon_66
|
Professional

Consistently seeing better MPG each time I fill up vs my previous averages (all fill ups are logged with an app called 'aCar').
My last fill up was the best MPG to date.

Overall Im really impressed with the quality of these headers, I have no complaints.

I had the headers powder coated locally for a really good price.
Now that I have added these Long Tube headers the drone from my JBA Catback is unbearable and I will be changing it out.

Previous fill up w/ JBA Headers16.48mpg
1st Fill up with Stainless Works Headers 18.28mpg.
2nd Fill up 17.54mpg
3rd Fill up 21.89mpg

All these fill ups were done, after driving the exact same route to work (450km each way)
Also, I have heavier then stock winter tires on and 200pounds of sandbags in the box of the truck.

Should see more improvement with Stock wheels, and no sandbags

Last edited by Talon_66; 03-18-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Stainless Works Headers