4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Smoked My Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 PM
gkates
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Smoked My Tail Lights

Hey yall, Smoked my Tail Lights with VHT Night Shade. Did it on my other truck and figured it would look good on my Ram! Didnt want to go too dark and get pulled over lol Heres some pics. Turned out really good! Let me know what you think.

http://s883.photobucket.com/user/kat...?sort=3&page=1

Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good to me.

How hard it it to apply?

Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 PM
gkates
Professional

Pretty easy, just time consuming. Remove the tails and 3rd brake light, wash them down really good to make sure there isn't any wax or any residue on them. Taped off the reverse light area with clear tape and carefully cut around it with a razor blade. Sprayed three light even coats and let them dry about 20 min between each coat. Then let it dry for an hour and a half then put three coats of clear till it was nice and even. Let it dry for two hours, peeled off the tape and put them back in lol

Old 04-29-2014, 02:03 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Look good. Too bad they wont last. rattle can clear is cheap stuff. I did VHT on my old tails and they lightened up a lot and the clearcoat was getting cloudy and needed a rebuff. I ended up sanding the clear off and re-applying a light layer of VHT to get back the darkness.

I did my daily driver last summer. They are showing their age already and are gonna need to be redone this summer.

I went with professionally tinted tails with 2-par clear 2nd time around on my truck. They have been on for 2 years now and look as good as the day I put them on. My car doesn't look bad until I park next to my truck or pull out photos I took when they were freshly done.

At any rate, they look good. You did a good job. Just saying you may have to re-do in a year or 2.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM
gkates
Professional

Thanks! But my buddy owns an auto parts store and I ordered the clear thru him. And I did it to my old truck and I still see it around town and I did it 4 years ago and they look like when I just did them lol

Old 06-30-2014, 05:30 AM
duke07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about using tint films on the tail lights? I want to tint mine but I want something that can allow me to go back to factory look.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 AM
gkates
Professional

A few of my buddies did that on their vehicles and all ended up with creases or bubbles and they looked good from far, but far from good lol I didn't like the stock look and know I don't wanna go back

Quick Reply: Smoked My Tail Lights