4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Thoughts on Uconnect

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 AM
moze229
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Uconnect

I've been driving my 2001 quad cab since 2001 (bought with 3 miles on it.) I've entered the market for a new one, and I finally just about have everything narrowed down to what I want. Then I ran into this...

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers...-jeep-highway/

Now, I've read about this kind of stuff before, but this article really started to concern me because it's so in-depth. Just something out there for you all to be aware of. It's not likely something that would happen to most of us, but it's always possible.

I'm was focused on the Uconnect 8.4 for the navigation and other camera driven features, but I'm not so sure that I want to mess with it now. LOL

Old 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This is, in theory, possible with any vehicle that utilizes an IP address to communicate. I first heard about this issue a couple of years ago regarding GM and their On Star system. The difference between that and this Jeep Grand Cherokee thing is four years ago, it didn't get much play in the media.

Every automaker has been scrambling for the last couple of years to come up with software updates to prevent this and new update tactics that are not live.

I have a phone ap for my Hyundai that let's me find the car, disable it, pull any obdii data, raise and lower windows, start the car, star the A/C, honk the horn, turn on the lights, etc. Hyundai notifies me via text when Im due for any service and when the system has any type of problem - so you know there is communication via the net, in the background all the time. All this in a $22,000 MSRP car!
I am not naive enough not to realize if I can do it, a hacker can.

High tech savy used car dealers use this to disable vehicles for non payment regardless of brand.

If it worries you that much, buy a vehicle with a good, old fashioned AM/FM radio...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-22-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:13 AM
moze229
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I wouldn't consider myself "worried" about it, but it does raise some legitimate concerns. I suppose I hadn't ever given a whole lot of thought because I've never had anything with these capabilities. My wife is the one that drives all the BMW and Mercedes stuff. I just keep driving my old truck. Lol. Her cars have been connected with this stuff for years I guess. I always knew that there was some communication available between the vehicles and point b (wherever or whomever that may be), but your comments about detailed control via phone app is new to me. I guess I'm just ignorant to the stuff.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:43 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

http://m.hyundaiusa.com/bluelink/

Click on "Remote Access"

Oh and I left out I can see tire air pressure real time also, LOL.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have already initiated a recall to fix the security risk. With the newer technologies, keyless entry, internet connected vehicles, etc. this will continue to be an issue. Car thieves will turn into nerds who start your vehicle remotely and drive it to the chop shop....lol.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Uconnect