4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Test drive: 3 unique 4th gens review

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Test drive: 3 unique 4th gens review

Yesterday I visited the local dealer and checked out three different used 4th gens that are hard to find. All were black and all 4wd. Mileage and trims are listed. I've included links to the autotrader ads but they won't last forever.

First of all, the Hemi tick. When I arrived it was early and only 20deg so they had all the trucks on the lot idling. They were all very quiet and I didn't hear any noises from them. This included used all the way up to brand new. Plus, none of the trucks I drove had any noises.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...elCode1=RM1500

The first was a 2013 1500 Sport with the Crew Cab and 6-1/3 bed and 67k. I have never seen one of these combinations anywhere nor did I remember Ram even offering it. Seems the Crew always comes with the tiny 5' foot bed. The sport had black leather and every creature comfort with the bulging hood and 20" chromed alloys. It was essentially a Laramie. Loved the black interior. Not a fan of leather but it was beautiful. Absolutely loved the exterior. Wow. Just wow.

The ride: firm but nice and planted. Way better than I expected since all I read is how soft and wimpy the Ram 1500s are. Not true. My 2nd gen with a lift rides softer and squishier.

The power: underwhelming but if revved it would get up and go. Not as much instant speed as I expected. The engine is really tucked under the cowl. I thought I was looking at a V6. Would hate to work on it compared to my 318.

The steering: amazing and light. One finger did it. Nice return and control. The rack and pinion is the way to go here.

The truck: HUGE! Couldn't believe how much bigger they are than my 2nd gen. The hood was much longer and taller. The dash was twice as deep. I had to jump to get in and it wasn't lifted. My truck is lifted with 33s and this felt bigger. The interior is smaller though and no room to stretch out. This was probably due to the center console. This one came with the 6spd console shifter. Shifter was loose feeling but I liked the 6spd with firm shifts and smooth operation.

Overall: Plenty of space, big bed (cool!) and enough power. Brakes were very, very good. Barely touch them and we were stopped. Huge hood makes it weird to drive in small places. Felt much larger and harder to wield than my 2nd gen. Creature comforts were nice, but don't need them. These are really fancy trucks and I can see why so many are on the road. This would be enough truck for 90% of all truck buyers. Fit the whole family with all the features for wife and kids, large bed to haul anything, and the look and ride men prefer. I've been looking at Quad Cabs but with this rare combo of crew cab and 6.3ft bed, I would consider it. The smaller bed is worthless and the quad cab was much smaller than I expected. Since I didn't know this combo existed, I have to rearrange my thinking. Oh and the stock mirrors are too small. Worse than my 2nd gen. Sound system was incredible. No need for any upgrades ever. It had a CD player in the console (stupid place but at least it had one).

****http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...elCode1=RM2500

Second truck was a 2015 2500 SLT 6.4 Black Edition with 10k and blacked bumpers and wheels. This is also a rare truck since not many 6.4s are out there especially with the 20" wheels and center console. I haven't seen one like this on any web searches. They are usually Laramies or Cummins.

The ride: much firmer than the 1500 (duh) but considering that I read how great the coil rear suspension is, I was prepared for a softer ride. This felt pretty stiff both front and rear. And coming from a 2nd gen with our track bar drama, I would be hesitant to have not one but two track bars on a truck. All I've read about the TPMS crap, this one had it too. It was at 62 psi and was blinking to put 80 in the rears.

The power: amazing! The 6.4 is a beast! It had much more immediate power than the 5.7 and really felt light to drive. At 70mph, rpms were 1600 in 6th gear so I don't think it was the 4.10 gears. But anyway, very impressive. Don't believe the stupid videos on youtube about how wimpy this engine is. It hauls a$$.

The steering: tighter than the 1500 rack/pinion but still easy to drive. It didn't return as well and needed more control. At low speeds, it didn't want to return at all. Worse of the 3 I drove but much better than my 2nd gen.

The brakes: firmer and required much more pressure than the 1500. Stopped fine but felt more like my 2nd gen with drums.

The truck: didn't seem as bulky as the 1500 maybe because it sits even higher. I had to grab the handle and really leap in. I'm 5'9" 170. It was an SLT so it had enough features including the 5" screen which I'm not a fan of. It takes too much to read and distracts the eye. I'm a fan of real buttons. This one had the 2 gauge cluster (lower trim) which I liked more than I thought based on pictures. It reads fine and with the larger tach, shows rpms more clearly than the 1500 fancy cluster. The center console had lots of cubbies and didn't feel as confining as the 1500 even though they are the same. Overall, it drove great and felt very strong. The truck is very tall, rides stiff, will never need a lift, and will pull anything I'm sure. The 6.4 was very impressive. More truck than most buyers will need. This is perfect for those who need to tow heavy but don't want a diesel (duh) but it really is beefy. This is not a 2nd gen with a V10. This is a monster. If the 1500 needed steps, this one needed two steps. I also saw a similar 6.4 truck in Mega Cab with a lift on it and I wouldn't even consider test driving it. It must have sat ten feet tall. It would dwarf a Peterbilt. Looks were not as good as the 1500. The black look on a HD just doesn't work for me. Needed chrome.

*****In between this, the salesman was attempting to start the 3rd truck since it had dead batteries and I drove a 1500 8spd out of the way so they could jump it. The dial shifter is stupid to say the least. It barely has any resistance and feels like I'm turning on the fan. No thank you. Never.

*****http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...elCode1=RM3500

The 3rd and final truck in the trifecta of unique rigs was a 2012 3500 ST Crew short box 6.7 G56 with 33k. This is a truck that I thought was my dream truck. It was my favorite to see. Actually the reason I went looking at all. I've wanted a Cummins for years since the 2nd gens were the cream and this is the last year before DEF. It's gorgeous and will sell quickly I'm sure. Unfortunately, they want almost as much as a new 2017 Tradesman. And it was a little rough in places.

The ride: very nice and felt like the 2500. I read how the 3500s ride too stiff but this one did not. It had the leaf springs with 4-link arms up front. It rode great and didn't feel any different than the new 2500 with coils. Very surprising how similar they were in ride.

The steering: a bit nicer than the 2500 which was interesting since this one had 35s on it. Nothing loose and was very comfortable. It had better return than the 2500.

The power: disappointing to say the least. I started in 2nd and shifted around 2500-3000 rpm. The 6.7 can rev higher than the 5.9 and has no over rev limiter on the gauge. Once you get it wound up it does move but about half as fast as the 6.4 Hemi. I know, I know, apples to oranges. But I'm looking for a daily driver that will haul whatever I need. Once I got it to 4th gear it seemed to really go. Not sure if its the DPF or programming or what.

The exhaust brake: sort of nice but didn't work as well as a Pac brake on a 2nd gen. It would definitely help when towing though. Also too quiet for my taste.

The brakes: as good as the 2500. Firm with plenty of control. With the Ebrake, you barely need to brake anyway.

The G56: since I'm coming from my 2nd gen 1500 with the NV3500, I have been wishing upon a star for a G56 since its the only truck available today with a stick. To me, real diesel trucks have sticks. But this thing was a disappointment. It shifted so hard you almost needed two hands on it. Now I've driven 2nd gen NV5600s and this thing is much worse. It wouldn't go into gear unless you jam it in. At a stop light, it is almost impossible. With mine, if the clutch is disengaged, you can shift into any gear you want. Not this. It's like it doesn't have syncros. If you want to be the slowest vehicle in town, get this truck. I ended up revving higher in each gear so the shifts were farther apart. The clutch pedal is also so soft you barely know you're on it. I'm sure I would get used to it but not for a daily driver. Makes my truck feel like a car.

The truck overall: They claim its a 3500 but since its debadged and they had the same design and suspension as a 2500 in 2012, I had no confirmation. Because it rode so nice, I wonder. I looked all over for a sticker but it had none. No book either. This has the older frame, older 17" wheels, and older suspension but I could not tell a difference between the 2500 and 3500. I like the interior better than the newer ones by far especially since it has a CD player. Why Ram doesn't offer this on new ones is beyond me. Ford does, Chevy does, Toyota does. Not everybody has all their music on an ipod. Stupid. For $40-60k these trucks should come with every media option available. This was the tallest truck of the three since it had 35s but it was not lifted. No level kit. The diff, transfer case and trans are humongous. I can't imagine using this truck except on freeways towing. If you want a daily driver, this is not it. The trans was a lot of work to drive (my Dad's Peterbilt 18spd is easier to drive). As cool as the Cummins is with a stick, if you don't NEED it, don't get it. I would say maybe 1% of truck buyers would need this.

****Conclusions: I took these trucks on the same route through town to a hwy and back. Of these three unique used trucks, I would get the 6.4 2500 but I hate black wheels. It is all the truck anybody would need and is actually a fast rig. Considering how bulky the 1500 is, why not get the 2500 since it will far out tow and pull any 1500. Sure the features are nice in the 1500 but I don't have a wife or kids so who cares. An SLT is like a 2nd gen Laramie to me.

I was surprised at a lot of things, most of all how disappointing the CTD G56 is. But these were three very different trucks for very different purposes. If you want a car ride with comfort and room, the 1500 is it. You'll still need steps to get in and be careful in parking lots with the huge turning radius and hood. If you have to tow things and want what a real truck can do, and are coming from a 2nd gen with solid axles and solid ride, get the 2500. If you have to tow a house and don't live anywhere near a city, get the CTD.

This was a fun day off to check these out. I have a totally different outlook on what my next truck may be. Things have changed immensely over 15 years but since the next truck will last me another 15, I have to be picky. I think for my needs a 1500 is enough but it feels big and I hate the dial shifter on new ones. So 2500 6.4 would be my ticket. But I'm not getting one yet. Just shopping and maybe my experience helps somebody on here, especially going used.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting write up and extremely detailed. I would like to know what you end up with. Never driven the 6.4 but would l like to someday.