4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5.7 or 6.4 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:07 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.7 or 6.4 Hemi

Hey everyone. I'm normally in the 2nd gen section with my 1995 gasser or over on the cumminsforum with my 2005. Possibly might make the downgrade from my 2005 cummins to a newer 2013-2015 2500 hemi. Hemi's are a different world to me and I know the 6.4 came out somewhat recently for the HD trucks. I know the 5.7 has been around for years too.

If I were to make the switch, I'd lean towards the 6.4 only because it has better power numbers and I've read of less issues with them compared to the 5.7. I do tow trailers loaded with hay in the summer but not extremely far. It would see other trailer use as well.

Before any of you ask me why I'd do this, it's simple. Diesels are expensive to fix (not that i've had to put a bunch of money into mine but eventually it will happen) and I'm honestly growing to hate the 6 speed manual in my diesel. It's a strong trans, but man is it a bear to drive in stop and go traffic. Automatic sounds better each time I drive my manual. Plus, my wife can't really drive it. I think a newer hemi with an auto would be great.

Other than the 6.4 having more power, why else would that be a better option, or a bad option? How about the 5.7? What are some issues with the hemis that you all have seen?

Lastly, would I be stupid to make a switch to fourth gen? I don't know much about their reliability compared to 3rd gen, but the interior looks so much nicer and more comfortable, not to mention more room in the back seat in the crew cab.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:07 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the 4th gens are pretty much the same reliability as the 3rd imo. the 4th gen trans is a 6speed vs a 5 in the 3rd gen. Its the basically same corporate trans but the programming allows the additional gear.
check out the power wagon 2500's...they are a beast.

Quick Reply: 5.7 or 6.4 Hemi