4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just drove '09 SLT and '08 4.7 manual...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008 | 06:41 PM
Grey-Ghost
Professional

MacDak the 09 rams frame is basically the same as the 08 with the coils and the better body and much better interior so its a good piece i'd go with 09 i think outf all the trucks the ram just has a different look like a sports car compared to every1 else it looks awesome

Old 11-11-2008 | 08:37 PM
TXcharger07
Veteran

Originally Posted by MacDak
I'm not talking about anything; just saying what I read for the particular 5.7 Ram I drove. The "more or less" you mentioned is the key. I have no bone to pick about any brand... I spend my money on what I can determine is the best deal and quality and drive what I want. I've used Chrysler products all my life, learned to drive on a '49 Plymouth (now that was a car!).
if you are even trying to compare a tacoma to a ram you are doing it wrong.

Old 11-11-2008 | 10:00 PM
MacDak
|
Professional

TX, right, I am comparing everything to everything else - doing it right or wrong. Tell me how to compare; this old geezer can still learn a lot . I've already learned that the 4.7 manuals don't have much towing capacity compared to automatics, and I was surprised at that.

Check this forum, scroll down to the pdf file link - it has all the specifications for '09 Dodges:

http://www.*********.com/forums/atta...2&d=1200381052

Anyway, when I do get a truck, I'm fairly certain it will be a Ram; probably the 5.7 V8.

Oh well, link won't work on this forum - it's dodge talk - no space, where ***** are

Last edited by MacDak; 11-11-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-12-2008 | 12:23 AM
TXcharger07
Veteran

i don't believe in toyota... it doesn't exist :P

i have driven the tacoma and at my height i don't fit well. I'm only 6'1".

i would get a 09 QC 5.7L ram if i was you, try and get a lonestar package one. they are well equipped and cheap.

Old 11-12-2008 | 10:36 AM
MacDak
|
Professional

Thanks, TX. I'm 6'2", and 215 lb., and like room.

The QC (Quad Cab, right? I'm just learning these acronyms - RC + regular cab, CC = crew cab, right?) in Lonestar package - cheap? I don't know much about the various editions, SLT, etc., except I know the Laramie is..... WOW! If $ were no object truck... When I get time, I will go back to some dealer's for more looking and driving. Doing concrete work around my house now, whew, that keeps me busy.

Oh, and is the QC bigger than the CC? A little confusing... CC sounds like it would be bigger in back seats, after, for the crew, right?

Last edited by MacDak; 11-12-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-12-2008 | 07:18 PM
TXcharger07
Veteran

Crew Cab is the biggest. Think of Quad Cab as an extended cab.

The Lonestar i think! is only available in texas or oklahoma, but its basically a popular equipment group. Power windows, locks, driver seat. cloth interior and some goofy chrome accents and special badging.

Old 11-12-2008 | 09:50 PM
MacDak
|
Professional

Originally Posted by TXcharger07
Crew Cab is the biggest. Think of Quad Cab as an extended cab.
In that case, do you like the Crew Cab better? For extra room, etc.? Bed length is shorter, I guess. Even checking them out myself, I like to find out what a real user likes...

Old 11-12-2008 | 10:35 PM
TXcharger07
Veteran

Originally Posted by MacDak
In that case, do you like the Crew Cab better? For extra room, etc.? Bed length is shorter, I guess. Even checking them out myself, I like to find out what a real user likes...
well you know, honestly. its hard to get people back there. my quad cab is gonna be smaller, but i fit all right in the newer trucks. Though i don't normally ride in the back.

I think the crew cab looks better and if you are going to be driving more than hauling or just hauling on the weekend for projects or whatever, the crew cab will be perfect for you. i tend to throw alot of stuff in the back seat... lol

bed length is gonna be shorter but you can get the ram box in crew cab trucks so that may be what you might also want to look at. i personally think the ram box is kickass.

Old 11-14-2008 | 10:12 PM
woodchip

i have a 4.7 and 5 speed in a qc 4x4 03.the towing capacity is only 5000 but i still tow over 7000 several times a year.the 4.7 is weak but that is why i have a manual.i also run oversized tires that hurts as well.still rather have a manual.never killed one yet

Old 11-15-2008 | 10:18 AM
MacDak
|
Professional

Originally Posted by woodchip
i have a 4.7 and 5 speed in a qc 4x4 03.the towing capacity is only 5000 but i still tow over 7000 several times a year.the 4.7 is weak but that is why i have a manual.i also run oversized tires that hurts as well.still rather have a manual.never killed one yet
Good to know, wood. I tow about 5,000 lbs. and just have confidence with a manual, but, it is obvious truck makers are killing off sticks! Change is a'comin'... already has come .

And TX, thanks for that info too. I'm still looking... might go today and test drive some again. And, I still have me old '93 Dakota for rough work, so bed length is not so much an issue with a newer truck, but, the rear seating will be important for such a nice truck for the way I will use it. Mainly long trips and towing. Me hound will like the extra room in back seat! The Dak in MacDak stands for the Dakota .

Last edited by MacDak; 11-15-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: Just drove '09 SLT and '08 4.7 manual...