4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RAMBOX- What's Your Take?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:16 AM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I had an '02 Chevy Avalanche, the lockable boxes on the side of the tailgate were really the same thing. Very versatile, I kept all my off-road recovery stuff in one side and a some fishing/hunting equipment in the other. Insulated and drain holes too, not sure if the Rambox is. Makes for a great, big beer cooler!!!
The early 90s Chevy extended cabs had the pockets beside the back seat that you could put ice and *ahem* you're preferred beverage in. We pulled them out and put a plug in it to drain out. You had to watch out though when it was really hot out it would make condensation patch on the outside of the pickup. LOL

Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I had an '02 Chevy Avalanche, the lockable boxes on the side of the tailgate were really the same thing. Very versatile, I kept all my off-road recovery stuff in one side and a some fishing/hunting equipment in the other. Insulated and drain holes too, not sure if the Rambox is. Makes for a great, big beer cooler!!!
doesnt the floor on the passenger side have a cooler in it already? I thought it did behind the front passenger seat..... My family also has a 2008 Chevy Avalanche (5.3 V8 The gutless wonder) And the sides on it makes great coolers

Old 12-29-2008, 01:15 PM
jdcovert
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
doesnt the floor on the passenger side have a cooler in it already? I thought it did behind the front passenger seat..... My family also has a 2008 Chevy Avalanche (5.3 V8 The gutless wonder) And the sides on it makes great coolers
You can only get coolers on crew cabs, not quad cabs

Old 01-08-2009, 06:32 PM
wildbill
Veteran

speaking of coolers...anyone used the new storages in the bed as coolers? They can hold a couple hundred cans of soda with ice, according to Dodge's website.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional
Talking

They are really cool. They had a RAM show here at my dealer and they filled the sides with Ice and Drinks just so you could see it work as they said.

Just note that your bed is going to be a perfect square if you get them, just like if it was a flare side truck. That was a problem for me since I need that space for my 4 Wheeler to get loaded on the bed, so I got the normal sides and got the quad cab so I could have the longer bed so the tailgate would close.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM
jdcovert
Veteran

Originally Posted by Smoothbassman
Just note that your bed is going to be a perfect square if you get them, just like if it was a flare side truck. That was a problem for me since I need that space for my 4 Wheeler to get loaded on the bed, so I got the normal sides and got the quad cab so I could have the longer bed so the tailgate would close.
Ya same here... didn't like how much bed space you loose....

Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 PM
finc.jb
Professional

Originally Posted by jdcovert
Ya same here... didn't like how much bed space you loose....
+2, I saw my first one in person this morning and didn't like just how much space you lose. Love the concept though.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Originally Posted by FiveOGirl
I tried to build one with the sunburst orange and adding the rambox says I need to get it in silver... WTF???
Rambox is currently only built in the St. Louis assembly plant. Unfortunately St Louis's paint facility is not set up with Sunburst Orange (Deonator Yellow either). So you can't get a Rambox in those two colors. Just wait until they get Rambox geared up in their Mexico plant. You'll be able to get it in all colors then.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:45 AM
AL68
Rookie

I think thier a great idea, they take up less space then a big old toolbox would. I would use them more for storing golf clubs and fishing equipment. On the downside they do kind of have a big gap all the way around them.