4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 vs. the 2008 Toyota Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Saabu2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no-one's even mentioned the 'Blundra's non-existent rear locking diff. just google that and watch the videos comparing GM to the Blundra...

Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 PM
TI 3VOM
Veteran

Bah, watch the videos bashing the Tundra rear again, if it slips and you let off the gas, it won't switch over. If you let it spin, it locks up solid. The Tundra is a great truck, but at the end of the day, the Dodge beat everyone hands down on discounts. I am paying over 100 less a month then any deal I could get on any other truck in town. Money talks....

Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Trx4Jeff

The tundra cabs are have more room but you cant put much weight on the tailgate I heard the rep say its rated to handle 180lbs might be why we see so many bending when loading atvs golf carts.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:27 PM
crod
All Star

i live in "motorcity" so its def. truck country. you dont see many foreign trucks around here. i was only considering a "big 3" truck. when i was in the market last summer. it was dodge, chevy, ford in that order for discounts. at the time it was $13k, 10k, 7k. in that order. i ended up with a dodge.. i dont care what anyone says. the f150 is not 7grand better of a truck!

Old 02-15-2010, 01:22 AM
72combo
Champion

Best thing to do is drive into the dealership of the one you want to buy with the opposite one and tell them this is what I want to buy but they will only give be so much off what can you do for me and then you have both trucks together beside each other. Or just go buy a frikken Dodge, why do we talk about Toyota's in here, they are mass producers now they don't care anymore.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 AM
it's all dodge
Rookie

Did I maybe miss it, or was the Ram equiped with only 3.55s?! That would make it tow less up the steep first hill! I get the idea it is 3.55s due to the 6300 pound max tow limit, less than what the trailer weighed, right? That would equate to 20" wheels and 3.55s, not a great towing combo. It will tow fine for lots, but that is a heavy trailer. After looking carefully at these two trucks in Dec and Jan and driving both, I must atleast agree with post #4. plenty power there in the Tundra, that is not a Tundra problem. I liked the ride, the interior, the mileage, and the looks of the Ram better. Now changing these 16 plugs will be a *&#$% !!And it is more frequently! My use is to tow a total weight of 5,000 to 6,000 pounds of trailer, racecar and stuff. My TRX4 QC Hemi will do fine, that's what I chose. Before I left to go overseas. Something not mentioned, they wanna compre Safety...the Ram wins structural integraty in any head on accident, does good in side impact, but no (torso?) airbag makes the Tundra shine there. oh well, more head on accidents happen then side impact. Specially in my area. Look it up on IIHS safety and see where the Tundra steering wheel goes in head on impact, I give you a hint, it's not away from the driver!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM
it's all dodge
Rookie

Oh, also, post 6. Tundra makes a DOUBLECAB, not a QUADCAB. But then it compares a Double to a Dodge crew? Thats atleast fair in the weight between the two trucks as Tundras weigh I believe more. Plenty power tho in the Ram, my Hemi has plenty torque, I don't make a habit of using cruise control on steep hills cause it is usually so quick to slam it down into a gear that is lower than it would if you were not on cruise, just with your foot on the gas. BUT, the day after I bought mine I set it at about 70 and never once did it rev higher than 2600 to get up a hill, SMOOTH! My friend has a double cab 4x4 Tundra 5.7 trailer tow with 4.3 gears, brand new, says his hits 3400 doing the same run. But I gotta admitt if you plan on towing heavy with a 1500, not a great idea you wanna go putting 850 plus pounds of tongue weight on a Ram, (10% of the 8500 max tow weight in my truck) doesn't leave much weight (legally) for passengers or stuff. So it's good for a medium weight trailer. but if Dodge came up with a heavy half, or camper special with factory air bag springs, a bigger bolt pattern (the same 9.25 rear end was used in vans with a GVWR around 7800 pounds, with a bigger bolt pattern, and also, bigger brakes. I believe it would fill the gap between a 2500 and a 1500 as it costs like almost $5,000 more to build the same 2500 as my 1500, with the Hemi, and you still only get a 5 speed. The frame would handle the extra 300 to 400 or so pounds of payload. 4.10 gears that are already in the R/T Ram could be used, along with a higher weight capacity tire.

Quick Reply: The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 vs. the 2008 Toyota Tundra