4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2009 ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi which octane? 89?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:12 PM
runnindummy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone running 89 octane with 10% ethenol?

Old 03-08-2009, 04:00 AM
MinatorHemi8
Veteran
Talking

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
I don't put garbage flue in mine, I put 87 octane fuel though....

Now, if you chose to run say 93 Octane from a quality station like Shell or Chevron,
I dont know how big this topic really is nor the magnitude its discussed to but unless shell and chevron have a special tank under the ground they secretly fill when no ones looking then gas comes from who ever is seling it cheaper the only ones with real additives make you pay more like the wal mart pumps.

Currently I work for a large refinery down here on the coast and the trucks that come from our rack fill up valeros - chevrons - etc. with no such additives - Valero was blamed and sued for clogging up peoples fuel filters - when in actuality this occurence happend right after we had an upset and 200,000 gallons tested and confirmed ****ty gas came of our lines and we aint valero :> yet our trucks were filling up their valeros.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MinatorHemi8
I dont know how big this topic really is nor the magnitude its discussed to but unless shell and chevron have a special tank under the ground they secretly fill when no ones looking then gas comes from who ever is seling it cheaper the only ones with real additives make you pay more like the wal mart pumps.

Currently I work for a large refinery down here on the coast and the trucks that come from our rack fill up valeros - chevrons - etc. with no such additives - Valero was blamed and sued for clogging up peoples fuel filters - when in actuality this occurence happend right after we had an upset and 200,000 gallons tested and confirmed ****ty gas came of our lines and we aint valero :> yet our trucks were filling up their valeros.
Yeah - a lot of the 87 and 89 fuel is the same and the large refineries often sell to the no names, but I guarantee you that the 93 gas does contain either the Shell or Chevron additives that they advertise - it's not just plain 'ole gas. And Chevron won't have Shell's additives and vice versa. Walmart may get the Shell aditives every once in awhile, but you never know what you're getting.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runnindummy
anyone running 89 octane with 10% ethenol?
I am. I live in Iowa.

Quick Reply: 2009 ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi which octane? 89?