4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ParkView Camera Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterScott
I bought a Lockpick and am in the process of getting it exchange for a new one. It did wierd things to the MyGig system. Great products though. I communicated via email with their customer service department. Slow, but got some results. Hopefully the new unit works better.
Who did you buy it from?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Has anyone ordered from either of them? If so, does the tailgate assembly come with the lock? I e-mailed them to ask and neither of them seemed to know.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Big_Fishman
Amateur

Does anyone know if the wires are already run to the tailgate or do you have to run the wire yourself?

I know that lots of cars that you could buy aftermarket CD changers for already had the wire run to the back buy the factory.

Last edited by Big_Fishman; 03-10-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Big_Fishman
Does anyone know if the wires are already run to the tailgate or do you have to run the wire yourself?

I know that lots of cars that you could buy aftermarket CD changers for already had the wire run to the back buy the factory.
You have to run the wires yourself and splice them into some of the wires that go into the radio. I had them e-mail me a pdf of the instructions.

And from the picture in the instructions (I can only see the back of the tailgate assembly), it seems like it comes with the lock, but maybe not the other parts that would be required for the lock to actually lock the tailgate. They haven't replied to those questions yet.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Big_Fishman
Amateur

Which place sent you the instructions? Could you send me a copy or could I get one from them too?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Big_Fishman
Which place sent you the instructions? Could you send me a copy or could I get one from them too?
The pdf is 4.5mb in size. Want to PM me your e-mail and I'll gladly send them over?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

Installing a camera is easy if you have the wiring schematics for the stock truck. The most difficult part is running the wires through the firewall to get to the radio. Everything is just spicing and dicing after that.

I used a Lock-Pick to do the job and it works great after I had my radio replaced. It had an issue with the Navigation that FINALLY got addressed with the most recent revision of the software.

I bought a camera that was adjustable so when backing to my hitch I can quickly point it down to the hitch and after that's done, I just point it back up.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Smoothbassman
Installing a camera is easy if you have the wiring schematics for the stock truck. The most difficult part is running the wires through the firewall to get to the radio. Everything is just spicing and dicing after that.

I used a Lock-Pick to do the job and it works great after I had my radio replaced. It had an issue with the Navigation that FINALLY got addressed with the most recent revision of the software.

I bought a camera that was adjustable so when backing to my hitch I can quickly point it down to the hitch and after that's done, I just point it back up.
Where'd you mount the camera? Picture? I want it to look completely concealed and other than the tailgate location I can't think of a place that will work (I also want a locking tailgate).

Also, I think having to adjust the camera before I back up partially defeats the purpose of the camera (being able to back right up to the trailer, dropping it down and being on my way in seconds).

Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Smoothbassman
Professional

I picked up a license plate mounting option with a wide angle off eBay for 30 bucks. It works great and it has night vision as well so I can see in complete darkness. It makes the night look just like day on the screen. Stock version doesn't have night vision as far as I know.

I will post up a photo when I get a chance. Its not concealed, but it has way more visibility than the stock one that you can't get from any dealer right now. 120 degrees left and right plus its adjustable to view whatever you want. Trailer, Hitch, Tailgate, ect. Wired it right into the Lockpick and it works great.

It really doesn't defeat the purpose because you are already out of the truck anyway to get your trailer ready to be hitched. I just point it down at the hitch ball back in and go. Its saved me tons of time since you can't really see the ball without some help, or a camera. Plus it still works with the tailgate down or even off of the truck, so I can back the tailgate right up to the edge of a ramp and know exactly where the tail is since the parksense and the stock camera doesn't work with the tailgate down.

I have to ride with the gate down to cart my Bike and ATV around so its a big help and was the best option for me.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Ok, I agree. That is a great option for you. It definitely has some benefits.

I personally will wait until the camera mounted in the tailgate handle is available b/c I like that it's more concealed and like that angle better. It'll save me one trip out of the truck and back in if I don't have to adjust the camera.

Guess I need to order my lockpick. Since I was going to use the factory camera I didn't think i'd need the lockpick, but the wife wants video in motion.....

Quick Reply: ParkView Camera Install