4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Cracked Windshield, #%@&*

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cracked Windshield, #%@&*

Dang it, 2 months old and the windshield gets a stone chip, small crack today. The dumba$$ in front of me is not paying attention and drives onto the shoulder of the road and kicks up some stones and right into my windshield. I got a very small chip and in another spot a chip and little crack. What is the best repair for this, Novus or another system? I am not replacing the glass, only repair. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
mike2810
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to my world. Truck was less than 3 weeks old. Driving back from Phoenix, someone kicked up a rock on the 202. Yep, hit my windshield, driver side. Chip and a crack (small). I went to our local glass dealer. He did the vacuum, resin thing. What is left looks like a bug splat a little less than 1/4 inch. Cost was $25. Like you I don't really want to have the windshield replaced. Hope the patch holds up.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 PM
WVU Fan
Professional

How big is the crack? If it's bigger than a quarter I don't know if I'd want to try and have it patched. If it's under that most likely a patch would be sufficient. Just call one of the glass repair places and get an opinion from them. Best of luck, and sorry to hear it happened.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How deep is the chip? if its fairly shallow, there is a procedure, that they use Hydrofluoric acid to literally eat away the glass to make it disappear. Its fairly cheep, and there is no fill in used.
The issue with using resin is the fact that after a few years of sitting out in the hot sun the resin depending on the chemical, will discolor. Some turn yellow, some turn pink.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

The bigger of the two is still small enough that the resin fill should work. It is about 3/16" in diameter. At this point, I just want to make sure that it does not spider and grow larger. I don't think the acid is a good choice for this application because the crack is between laminations. I live in sunny Texas, so I am concerned about any discoloration over time that might occur with the resin.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:52 PM
savage_46
Professional

i got hit friday evening. im still %^*$ing pissed about it. and of course, the second day i had mine, first time on highway, i got a super small chip right in front of my eyes. ill just get it repaired. $30 for first one, $10 for each additional.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Dr. Bill
Veteran

$30 bucks? I am getting quotes of $50-$99.95. I talked to a few "pros" and got a few different stories. This one is better, no this one. The $50 guys said he made is own tool. Warranty is about the same, "if it spreads, we will credit you towards the price of a new windshield if we do the work." Wow, what a warranty. How about if it still looks like crap, I don't have to pay. I will try to get something done in the next day or so.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it has got through the first layer of glass, you will be better off to just replace the damn thing. Trust me. Had the same issue on mine, big dump truck wasnt tarped going down the highway losing 3 inch rocks all over the place. a smaller one hit the road popped back up, and slammed into my bug deflector shattered and the rock kept rolling right up into the windshield. Because it cracked it all the way through the first layer of glass, all the Window shops told me that resin would just hold off the spread for a few years.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 AM
drober30
Veteran

That sucks! I received a stone chip on my 07 that I'm turning in in two weeks when my Sport should show up.

Mine was of no fault to the driver in front of me, just a rock they kicked up by driving on the expressway.

I would be road rage mad if some idiot drove onto the shoulder and caused my new windshield to be cracked.

Of course I would not do anything but swear out loud!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

If you have full coverage insurance then they'll fix the chip for free (don't have to pay your deductible). They do that b/c it's cheaper for them to just fix your chip then to have the crack spread and the windshield cave in on you or something.

I had a chip fixed on my Corvette from $64 from Binswinger. Mobile service took 10 minutes. Insurance paid for it. I know they offer chip repair at the car wash as well.

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield, #%@&*