4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: Was This Post Helpful?
Yes - Very Helpful
80.00%
Maybe - Somewhat Helpful
10.00%
No - I Already Knew this Infomation
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Locking Tailgate Installation - Walkthru

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:15 PM
blue2050
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the key locking handle and control assembly all you need is part no. 82211668-AB.

Has to have that black plastic lever coming from the control assembly you see in the pictures. The lock cylinder moves that rod where you see the little rod going through it.
The solonoid attaches to that lever and moves the lever when you hit the remote...see the two rivets, they are holding a small bracket the solonoid is made to attach to.

That black plastic lever engages the assembly....lever disengaged..pull the handlle and the assembly does not turn and move the rods. Lever engaged the pulling the handle rotates the control and moves the rods...opens the gate

Take off you dads tailgate access panel. Remove all those Torx screws and lift it right off. A couple of minutes.
Look at what you have!
The rods for the stock non locking gate have a "V" shape in them where the rubber isloators go
The rods for the locking gate are straight with little crimps in the rod to hold those rubber isolators in place to keep the rods from banging around inside...as smoothbassman explained.

The parts guy at my dealership said I could buy the whole package.
Locking handle, new control assembly, new rods and the solonoid kit.
I thought I would have a PE soloniod as I said so I just ordered the locking handle and control assembly and the rods. When I went to get the handle and stuff my plans had been changed...bought the remote locking kit from Mopar since they had it in stock.

The part numbers I list are what I got! Who knows, Dodge might have chaged the numbers. Easy enough to make a mistake typing this.

Just look at it, call your parts guy or take the truck to Dodge with the cover off.
The invoice with the part numbers are in my truck and my truck is at Dodge. I have a rental. Got my money back for the extra cylinder.....getting warranty work done. Point being, I can't double check my numbers right now.

I looked the numbers over before posting. I got these parts friday 4/10/09. I would use those part numbers I posted.
Yoou have to buy these through Dodge. They have a breakdown on the computer. Should be able to help, not promising that though. This is a new beast for parts too.

Took my parts guy to this post this morning. Pleased as puddin to see what it looks like. Now he can explain better to other customers.
He is learning as things come up. I understand training as stopped for now.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Mean Joe
Default Thank You Smoothbassman

I was in the same situation as Smoothbassman. My '09 was built in 10/08. Pop & Lock does not offer an aftermarket lock and I would assume since Dodge has made this a standard option on all Rams after 12/08, they probably wont. I followed Smoothbassman's instructions to the letter and it went in perfectly. Here are a few additional pic's to show how easy it was.

I ordered my parts from my dealer yesterday. They were not in stock and had to ship from Detroit. To my suprise they arrived today. My dealer had them sent overnight at no cost.
Name:  DSC01344.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  59.1 KB

Here is tailgate before I started.
Name:  DSC01338.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  54.5 KB

Tailgate panel.
Name:  DSC01337.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  67.2 KB

Tailgate panel open.
Name:  DSC01339.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  72.4 KB

Old latch.
Name:  DSC01340.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  52.6 KB

One of the rubber bumpers.
Name:  DSC01341.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  42.4 KB

New latch installed.
Name:  DSC01346.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  56.2 KB

Here it is after I was all done. About 15 minutes total.
Name:  DSC01348.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  47.1 KB

Thank you Smoothbassman for making this so easy!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:31 PM
ryano34

Is there a different part number for the handle with the camera hole already there? I'm not getting the camera now, but may do it at a later time.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Godspeed

Awesome pictures, Mean Joe. Thank you.

I think I'm ready to order the parts for my father's truck. Spoke to him today and we can always add the power capabilities to it later, as Blue did, if he feels it necessary.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Godspeed

Done. Ordered:

68044904-AB
68044867-AB
68049240-AA x2

Retail here in Canada would be $158.95 give or take a bit because pricing on domestic parts seem to vary slightly from dealer to dealer -- but I don't pay that anyway.

Will add 82211668-AB later to make it power if we feel like it. Retail from the same dealer on this kit would be $153.

Thanks again.

REALLY happy with our Line-X dealer that took off that tailgate panel and sprayed it separately!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Smoothbassman
Professional

This post has really got some traction! Thanks for the post of the electronic lock. I'm going to do that later this year. Right now the manual lock is good enough.

For all who are concerned with part numbers the ones in this post are 100% correct. I had a previos post of a list that a dealer gave me that wasn't right. A couple of months later I got it sorted out and made this post.

If you follow it step by step you can't go wrong.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:56 AM
72combo
Champion

Just checked my Pace Edwards power lock is at customs in Mississauga, so if they clear it there quickly I should see it in a few days. At least I know they sent me something.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:26 AM
crod
All Star

is everyone sure about the part number for the rods? i ordered the 68049240aa rods like it says. BUT mine are straight without the bends in them? wtf happened? they are wrapped with the delivery sticker on them still. im going to take them back and tell them they picked the wrong parts up?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:46 AM
jdonovan
Default tailgate lock

I added the lock. The new rods were straight. Everything went together without any problems. Thanks...Joe

Old 05-30-2009, 12:07 PM
crod
All Star

did you still use the stock rubber isolators? in the above pictures it makes sense that the rods are bent...

Quick Reply: Locking Tailgate Installation - Walkthru