4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2009 Dodge Ram Big horn air bag

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009 | 10:21 AM
ithaca4me
|
Default 2009 Dodge Ram Big horn air bag

I just bought a brand new one yesterday and the salesman and I can not figure out how to tell if the passenger side air bag is on or off. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-21-2009 | 10:33 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

It would be nice if there was an indicator lamp. Have you looked in your owners manual? The manual should tell you if it is equipped the new smart airbags. Just going from memory here but I think the airbags should be inactive unless there is ~50 lbs on the passenger seat or the seatbelt is locked..

Old 03-21-2009 | 10:44 AM
ithaca4me
|

It really does'nt say anything other than to put the kids in the back. Great my truck does have the back seat but what if it did not, the owners manuals are all pretty much the same back seat or not.

Old 03-21-2009 | 04:48 PM
wmichell227
Veteran

Originally Posted by ithaca4me
It really does'nt say anything other than to put the kids in the back. Great my truck does have the back seat but what if it did not, the owners manuals are all pretty much the same back seat or not.
Is your concern because you are going to let your kids ride in the front? The reason I ask is I had this conversation (when I had my 03) with a guy named Rusty Haight from Collision Safety Institute. (I'm a crash reconstructionist). His comment to me was that obviously its safer to keep the kids in the back seat. But in the real world sometimes he lets his son sit in the front when they're going fishing. He said if you put the seat all the way back (more than 10") from the dashboard, the airbag won't be a concern. I call it the 10" rule. If a person has a regular cab, the same rule applies, keep the kid back at least 10 inches from the dashboard.

In the spirit of liability though I will reiterate kids DO belong in the back seat.

I assume that our new trucks have smart airbags and the airbag wont deploy with light weight on the pass. seat, but I still keep my 8 y/o son (when he rides in front) back at least 10 inches from the airbag. Having recently been in a crash with deployment I can tell you its like getting punched in the face.

Last edited by wmichell227; 03-21-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2009 | 05:36 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by wmichell227
Is your concern because you are going to let your kids ride in the front? The reason I ask is I had this conversation (when I had my 03) with a guy named Rusty Haight from Collision Safety Institute. (I'm a crash reconstructionist). His comment to me was that obviously its safer to keep the kids in the back seat. But in the real world sometimes he lets his son sit in the front when they're going fishing. He said if you put the seat all the way back (more than 10") from the dashboard, the airbag won't be a concern. I call it the 10" rule. If a person has a regular cab, the same rule applies, keep the kid back at least 10 inches from the dashboard.

In the spirit of liability though I will reiterate kids DO belong in the back seat.

I assume that our new trucks have smart airbags and the airbag wont deploy with light weight on the pass. seat, but I still keep my 8 y/o son (when he rides in front) back at least 10 inches from the airbag. Having recently been in a crash with deployment I can tell you its like getting punched in the face.
Thanks for the good info, learn something new everyday

Quick Reply: 2009 Dodge Ram Big horn air bag