DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   Rough Country Level Kit or should I leave my truck alone? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/195884-rough-country-level-kit-or-should-i-leave-my-truck-alone.html)

drober30 04-03-2009 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Inbred (Post 1617456)
and when you haul or tow anything, your truck will sag horribly in the rear, which is why I've never been a fan of leveling trucks. Not to mention that the steeper angles can be harder on your front components over time.

I guess we accept the front end being lower because it comes that way from the factory?

I snowmobile and own a 23' enclosed but for the few times I haul it I guess I would not worry about the rear sagging. I think it would look like it was sagging because the front end is not lowered like it was from the factory but actually the rear would not be any lower while towing.

I guess we could say the front end is sagging when you buy it?

depunz 04-03-2009 01:25 PM

Other options.

Check out this thread, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...5s-thread.html

Toward the end MOPWR2U showed his with a 2" Billet spacer from ebay in the front and 3/4" Spacers in the rear. Check it out. I was looking at the Rough Country leveling kit as well but I like the billet spacers better. He 's running 35's aas well.
Sean

Inbred 04-03-2009 02:33 PM

that's the way trucks are. They're designed to take weight in the bed. Springs compress under load. Empty, they are set to be slightly high, so when you throw half a load on there they will settle and the truck will level out. Put a really heavy load on it, and the rear will be sagging even when stock.

MOPWR2U 04-03-2009 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out this thread, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-...5s-thread.html

To save you from reading through that whole thread, here's the finish product:
Attachment 108477

The 2" leveling kit actually gave my truck 2 1/4" of lift in front, and the Rough Country spacer I used in the back gave my truck 7/8" of lift in back. My truck measures 40 1/2" to the top of the front fender opening, and 41 1/8" to the top of the rear fender opening.

I'm very happy with the results. The truck drives great, rides the same as it did with stock suspension, and now it even looks like a 4x4. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

MOPWR2U

drober30 04-03-2009 03:06 PM

I thought I read you got the front spacers off ebay? Why did you not get the whole leveling kit from Rough Country?

So your truck is not really "level" so when you haul/tow something your back end should look normal?

My other question is: If I'm thinking about doing a 2" lift, should I not get the Cooper Zeons in the stock 275/60/20? Will they look to small?

I tow a snowmobile trailer occasionally but other than that it's my daily driver.

turk1270 04-03-2009 03:18 PM

the lift will not effect your warranty it is my understanding that dodge used spacers on the sport & trx models to on the front,thats why yoyu cant use the level kits on those models,if you have the 3.92s i would go with the 35s if you have the 3.55 i would stay with the 33s

drober30 04-03-2009 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by turk1270 (Post 1617696)
the lift will not effect your warranty it is my understanding that dodge used spacers on the sport & trx models to on the front,thats why yoyu cant use the level kits on those models,if you have the 3.92s i would go with the 35s if you have the 3.55 i would stay with the 33s

I have a Sport! I knew the TRX was different but I did not think the Sport was?

bigred3297 04-03-2009 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by drober30 (Post 1617710)
I have a Sport! I knew the TRX was different but I did not think the Sport was?

only the TRX4 has the front spacer, the Sport does not

MOPWR2U 04-03-2009 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by drober30 (Post 1617682)
I thought I read you got the front spacers off ebay? Why did you not get the whole leveling kit from Rough Country?

Because I found the 2" leveling kit spacers on ebay first, and had already purchased those when I saw the Rough Country leveling kit. Nothing more scientific than that. Later I decided to order the 3/4" rear spacers from Rough Country because I did not want my truck perfectly level when unloaded. I like the rear end just a tad higher than the front, and this combination did that for me. After having had a chance to look at the Rough Country front spacers and the ebay billet spacers I am glad I went with the ones that I did. I'm sure they both will work just fine, but the billet spacers are really well made, with superb machining work having been done to make them. They look like a high tech piece of equipment (if a spacer can look high tech), compared to the Rough Country spacer looking like something that was built in a back yard shop.

Inbred 04-03-2009 09:50 PM

yes, the rear will be lower under load, even though the springs are compressing the same amount. The rear of your truck cantilevers over the rear axle, which is much farther front than the bumper. Think of a see-saw, when you lift the front, your rear bumper will drop. So if your rear drops 2" with a light load, yes, it will still drop 2" with a level kit. But with the kit, it will end up closer to the ground because it started closer to the ground. The rear axle to bumper edge is about 1/3 of the wheelbase, so for every inch you raise the front will move the rear bumper 1/3 of an inch closer to the ground.

a few hundred pounds of tongue weight will level the truck perfectly. You may not mind the looks of a truck sagging bad in the rear under a load, but it goes beyond looks. That sag can really mess with your weight transfers and could lead to other handling issues, in the very situation where you absolutely don't want them (handling a heavy load). There is a reason that every make of pickup truck is made with a rake. It is not because the designers just wanted them to look goofy. After pulling my boat, I actually think they should have raked it a tiny touch more. Once I add a week's worth of camping gear, I'll be sagging a touch.

I'm not saying nobody should level their truck, I'm just saying think about it long and hard first. Seen way too many posts in forums over the years from people installing leveling kits then freaking out when they finally tow something. Then they're looking for aal's (which are obviously out of the question for us) or airbags, just to handle weight that the truck was more than happy to handle when stock. Or, they're taking the kits out completely in a couple years when their rear springs start to sag a touch.