4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Potential Ram owner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 PM
undecided
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Ram owner...

I know these things have been discussed but I'm in the market for a full size (1/2 ton) truck. I narrowed my options to the Ford F150 and Dodge Ram crew cabs. If the Ford I would either opt for the King Ranch or Platinum model. The Ram would be the Laramie. In terms of hauling I don't haul much. At most pieces of furniture, bags of soil, normal household bulk items best served hauled in a truck, so payload isn't exactly important. I also want to tow a boat. (haven't bought the boat, looking at a 21 foot boat, no yacht) The reason I'm leaning Ram is, I like the acceleration and ride, I feel the Rambox would be useful for me as this would be used as a family vehicle and the lockable storage would be useful on trips with the boat and I don't care for Ford's setup, Ford does not apparently offer rear seat DVD which is important to me as I have two small children. I'd have to get an aftermarket one in the Ford. I prefer the styling of the Dodge slightly over the Ford. The interior of the Ford looks a little busy and I like the more subtle Dodge interior. My biggest question is, how is the GPS system on the Dodge? I'm familiar with Ford's Sync system as my wife just bought a Flex, but I don't need nothing that fancy. Just something that tells me wear I'm going and offers satellite radio I'll be good. The advantages to the Ford I see are in the brute strength. It seems to be more of a work truck and the Ram seems to be a more commuter type truck which I feel is what I need. Another factor is I get employee pricing on the Ford and not the Dodge, but I think Chrysler is offering employee pricing? I won't negotiate till I decide on a truck. After this long winded post, does anybody have any advice?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:00 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, if you want employee pricing do not risk it being extended, buy or work a deal before 4-30.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Soop
Professional

Sounds like you want a HEMI!!! Go for it! I has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is a pleasure to drive...the ride is awesome. I opted to get my own GPS and stick it on the dash. I am not big on electronics in a vehicle. Too many things can go wrong with them. If the GPS tanks...I just get another one without having my HEMI in the shop! Just a humble opine...!

As for pulling, I have not but plan to get a trailer to haul my Harley on long hauls. My wife does not like to be on my Harley for long trips... Actually, she does not like MC at all.

A boat is not out of the question in the future...either!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Gerbie28

Long time Ford lover (F 150& F 350) and owner here but once i test drove the new Ram i fell in love with the ride,comfort and the looks!!!!!! the interior is by far the best looking of all the trucks!!!! and to answer your question about the GPS its awesome in my opion, i also own a Vette and the GPS on it blows compaired to this!!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:25 PM
undecided

Originally Posted by Soop
Sounds like you want a HEMI!!! Go for it! I has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is a pleasure to drive...the ride is awesome. I opted to get my own GPS and stick it on the dash. I am not big on electronics in a vehicle. Too many things can go wrong with them. If the GPS tanks...I just get another one without having my HEMI in the shop! Just a humble opine...!

As for pulling, I have not but plan to get a trailer to haul my Harley on long hauls. My wife does not like to be on my Harley for long trips... Actually, she does not like MC at all.

A boat is not out of the question in the future...either!!!

Yes I do like the Hemi. If the Ford had the Hemi I think I would be getting the Ford. I think I'm going to take a peak at Chevy since I also get employee pricing with them. The Chevy just doesn't "hit me" like the Ford and Dodge does.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Soop
Professional

I would never own a GM product again!!! I swore them off after getting jacked around back in 1984 with an S10 Blazer! My cuz had a 04 Chevy truck that was nothing but problems. He owns a F150 now. He drove my HEMI and was totally impressed.

One of the guys in our school district had a Chevy SUV and was more than happy to trade it in after two years...he put more miles on a loaner then the SUV cause it was in the shop so much!!!

Last edited by Soop; 04-24-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: edit
Old 04-24-2009, 11:43 PM
undecided

I've owned nothing but GM's till we decided on the Flex. In fact, I still plan to keep my Pontiac to go back and forth to work as I feel a truck isn't the most optimal vehicle to try to parkl in a downtown parking garage. The Silverado doesn't jump out at me. I noticed they offer a 6.2L with 400 HP but the Ram just seems to have more useful features I would use.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:04 AM
concrete creations

It sounds to me as though you have already made your decision. Your running down the Ford and talking up the Dodge. What else do you need? Go buy the truck.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Smile
Rookie

i am impressed with the dodge ram. i have an audi a4, benz 350 and gx470 and everytime we go out i want to the take the ram. much more room than any of the cars i own and a very smooth ride even over the lexus imo.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 PM
undecided

Originally Posted by concrete creations
It sounds to me as though you have already made your decision. Your running down the Ford and talking up the Dodge. What else do you need? Go buy the truck.

Don't worry, I'm talking down the Dodge on the Ford forum. Anyone have the rearview camera? I really like the backup camera Ford has, as backing up isn't my specialty.

Quick Reply: Potential Ram owner...