4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

09 rim can't paint or powdercoat-new option

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 PM
pccmtb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 rim can't paint or powdercoat-new option

I went to see me guy about painting or powdercoating my new 09 20 inch rims..definitely can't paint them..second you can't powdercoat the -they are plastic chrome covered...tried several other places here in Mass..no luck..
I am now looking at buying the XD Rockstar rims....I need help...will the 20 inch XD's fit with my tire..also they are selling 18 inch XD Rockstars alot cheaper Will they fit my stock tires???If they do, would there be a big diffence in looks??thanks.... My new truck being built will be here in two weeks Can't wait...Thanks for everyone's help so far

Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Inbred
Professional

um, a 20" tire won't fit an 18" rim.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:33 PM
MOPWR2U
Veteran

The stock wheels are replaceable, and thats it. You can't paint them, powder coat them, or repair any damage that may occur. 20x9 or 18x9 aftermarket wheels will work, with the appropriate tires. If your truck comes with 20" tires you will of course need 20" wheels to be able to use those tires.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Originally Posted by pccmtb
My new truck being built will be here in two weeks.
Ya right...Chrysler stopped building trucks May 1st.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 PM
pccmtb

got it thanks...I guess I will be selling my new rims on ebay when I get my truck...sucks you can't paint or powder coat them..

Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pccmtb
got it thanks...I guess I will be selling my new rims on ebay when I get my truck...sucks you can't paint or powder coat them..
Says who?

Have them sand blasted and powder coated.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Hdcowboy
Professional

I wonder what would they would look like if you removed the plastic chrome covering? You could obviosly could paint them or powdercoat them without the plastic. And I'd be more than willing to bet you money that someone would trade you for there stock 20 painted rims if you decided to go that route.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Hdcowboy
I wonder what would they would look like if you removed the plastic chrome covering? You could obviosly could paint them or powdercoat them without the plastic. And I'd be more than willing to bet you money that someone would trade you for there stock 20 painted rims if you decided to go that route.
Somebody on here mentioned a while back that it had been tried and it didn't work out so well.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:48 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdcowboy
Bad. Lots of glue that is next to impossible to get off. Nothing a back yard mechanic should attempt

Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mopowar
Somebody on here mentioned a while back that it had been tried and it didn't work out so well.
The plastic could be prepped and painted. But in the long run you are better off getting new wheels, sell your old ones. Cheaper to do that.

Quick Reply: 09 rim can't paint or powdercoat-new option