4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need MDS answers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 PM
B.Kaiser1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need MDS answers

Hello, I bought a 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie 4wd quad cab with the Hemi. I inquired at the dealer about the MDS not engaging. They tested it and said it was working.
I have the cluster with all the electronic messaging and such. I asked the service manager, how do I know when it's operating and isn't there suppose to be a display message when it's on? I was told that only the 2wd version has that indicator in the display and that the MDS is only activated on deceleration. (sounds fishy to me) I asked what the point was to have it only turn on during deceleration and also mentioned that the 2009 trucks MDS parameters were suppose to be greatly expanded over earlier versions.
He said thats the way it is and offered no other info on the matter.

Anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone have any other info on the MDS 4wd models? Shouldn''t I be seeing a "Fuel Saver" message when active?

This 8.5 GPM city and 16.8 GPM hwy is killing me and I drive this truck like a blue hair trying to save fuel.

Any dodge engineering info contact numbers to get a definative answer for this?

Thanks, BK

Old 05-13-2009, 11:07 PM
nytrorcr

Well somethings not right with your truck, our 4X4, 09 Hemi, 5.7 gets 17.4 to 18.3 HWY
& in town 15+++

Old 05-13-2009, 11:12 PM
jhedger
Veteran

what was your build date. The first builds do not have an indicator. If you have a locking tailgate you should have the Fuel Saver indicator. Is the autostick in D? It has to be in drive, not any other gear in order to work. Mine usually does not come on at highway speeds unless I'm going downhill. But at 40, which is the speed limit on most of the street here, the MDS kicks in all the time. I set me cruise at almost every speed though, helps my from speeding. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jhedger; 05-13-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-13-2009, 11:13 PM
tombogue09
Captain

Pretty much everything they told you was BS. Most trucks built before Dec. 08 don't have the MDS light, it has nothing to do whether its 2wd or 4wd.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 PM
SubRammer
Rookie

First of all the fuel saver light is later addition, I believe I was only on those after the 12/08 build date. This is not a model specific option as long as you have the EVIC (2wd is no different than 4wd). Generally if you have the VCT HEMI (you dealer window sticker will say either VVT or VCT) it does not have the fuel saver indicator. Someone has attempted to rig his own MDS light on this forum but I am not sure if he got it to work or not.

Second the MDS engages during low load conditions. Most of the time if you are travelling at 70 mph or less, on flat road, at a constant speed (i.e not accelerating), with minimal head wind the engine will engage MDS. The top speed at which it will work varies greatly but generally 70 mph is a good average. You were talking to one of those all too common dealers who don't know anything about their product.

As for your mpg, either you are calculating wrong or there is something seriously wrong with your truck. Even with a lead foot i have seen no worse than 10-11mpg in the city. When trying to get better mileage i can easily get 13-14mpg city.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:30 PM
B.Kaiser1
Rookie

The truck was built in Sept 08....No locking tailgate

Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 PM
jhedger
Veteran

You probably don't have the indicator but you should feel it engadge and disengadge, kinda like an overdrive shift. but your mileage is still too low. I get 14ish in the city and 19ish on the highway.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:53 PM
B.Kaiser1
Rookie

I guess I forgot to mention that this a CA truck.......Lots of air quality compliance junk on the motor

Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 PM
jhedger
Veteran

I'm out, I don't know anything about CA emision controls and how they effect things.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Shumdit
Professional

When MDS is on you can hear it in the engine under very light thorttle. It almost sounds like it's a volkswagen beetle or a 6 cylinder with a spark plug wire pulled off.

Quick Reply: Need MDS answers