4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tires and Wheels and Spares

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM
seigell
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and Wheels and Spares

I'm working out how to move from the stock 20's GY Wrangler HP highway tire to some respectable all terrain tires. Due to quality vs price vs availability vs fit - I'm going with Toyo Open Country A/T in the LT 275/65R20 (with a 126S rating vs OEM 114H). I'm keeping the stock aluminum (plastic) 20's that came in the BigHorn package - to save budget (and because I haven't seen much that catches my eye for replacement). That should give me increased traction and confidence to run the trails (not rock crawls) that I visit 8-12 times per year.
BUT...
What to do for a Spare... The "full-size limited-use" provided by Dodge isn't really either - 235/85R17 113S with barely legal tread-depth and rounded shoulders and bulging unprotected sidewalls. If I did blow a tire on a trail, I can just see this "wimpy" spare popping about another 100-200 yards down the same trail. And if I did make it off the trail to asphalt, the 1.35 inch height difference would make highway driving difficult - potentially damaging to the 3.92 limited-slip rear if that is where the spare went.

So, I'm thinking to move one of the to-be-replaced GY HPs into "spare duty" on a steel utility wheel.
But here are questions and issues:
1) Dodge must think their steel wheels are alloyed with titanium - want over $300 each. Where is a good source ?? And what are the exact specs required (backspacing, offset) ??
2) Will a full-size "full-size" spare fit properly in the tire carrier space ??
3) Any market for 3 GY HPs with less than 2K miles ?? Tires-only. They barely have the factory preservatives worn out of them yet. Any market for the "wimpy" spare ?? Other Dodge vehicles that it fits ??

Help ?? Suggestions ?? Offers ??

Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Pop for 5 new rims/tires...sell the plastic set.
Click HERE

Last edited by bountyhunter; 05-20-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Ironsides
Professional

Will a 20" spare fit in the stock location, or will it have to be stowed in the bed?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:38 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go on summit racing, order a steel wheel thats the exact dimensions and spacing as your stock wheels, then when you get the spare on it, chain it into the truck bed, done deal.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:25 PM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My TRX4 came with a matching spare on a steel wheel. I don't think the 20" will fit under the truck. I think that's why you get a 17" for a spare. Good source for wheels is your local salvage yards. Much cheaper!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:16 PM
MOPWR2U
Veteran

The Toyo tires you're putting on your truck are bulletproof. I doubt you'll ever puncture one off road. In the rare occaision that you do, you could still use the stock spare. If the flat occurs on the front end just go ahead and put the smaller spare tire on the front end. The front diff is open so it doesn't matter if the front tires are the same size. It will drive a bit funny, but it is just like any other donut space saver spare tire that are on millions of automobiles all around the world. If the flat occurs on the rear end you will need to take one of your front tires off and put the spare tire on the front, so you can put your front tire on the back end to replace the rear flat tire and have two equal size rear tires, which is needed for the limited slip differential. Yes you can still drive in four wheel drive (at least off road) with three equal sized tires and one small front tire.

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 05-20-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 PM
seigell
Veteran

Originally Posted by bountyhunter
Pop for 5 new rims/tires...sell the plastic set.
I'm keeping the stock aluminum (plastic) 20's that came in the BigHorn package - to save budget. I want a steel 20" spare so that I can recycle one of the GY HP - instead of buying the 5th tire. With the low resale value and commonality of the stock 20's, I don't see much chance that their sale would go far towards a respectable replacement set. - But thanks...
Originally Posted by Ironsides
Will a 20" spare fit in the stock location...?
I'm hoping so - a 275/65R20 is only 1.35 inch taller diameter than the 17" p.o.s spare. It looks like there is plenty more than 1" space all around the spare between the frame members and exhaust heat-shield. And I'm hoping someone on the forum has already gone this route, and can confirm from personal experience.
Chaining spare in the bed is NOT an acceptable option - that is where the ATV rides on "play dates" or where the yard waste or furniture or other stuff goes when chores are required.

So... Has anyone else already gone this same route yet ??

Quick Reply: Tires and Wheels and Spares