4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Would you have it repainted?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:50 AM
drober30
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you have it repainted?

My hood has a small piece of dirt/debris stuck in the paint from the factory. I could live with it as its not that noticeable. I notices it when I first waxed the truck (usually when we all notice the imperfections). Looked like something stuck to the hood so I tried to pick it off with my finger nail to realize that it was under the paint.

The dealer said they would repaint the hood but they cautioned me about how he factory paint is better than body shop paint. Factory paint is baked on at 500+ degrees where their paint (body shop) stops around 300 -350 degrees.

There are a couple of decent size stone chips on the front of the hood too so those would be taken care of as a bonus (only to happen again I'm sure)

Would you worry about having your hood painted? Is the factory paint that special?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:58 AM
HemiRAMV8
Professional

Well I wouldn't. I too have a small imperfection in my paint, on the C-Pillar. No biggie, it just mildly irritates me that the QC is that poor in the paint shop.

However, it is what it is, and for three main reasons, I won't be having it fixed:

1. Pearlescent paint. To match the original is nigh on impossible.

2. Resale value. A dealer worth his salt will put a paint thickness meter on the panels to determine if it's had paint at some time, and will mark you down a couple hundred if it has (or more, if a lot of body work).

3. Risk of overspray on something I don't want sprayed (seals etc).

And lastly, I don't want the inconvenience of dropping the truck off, leaving it, and collecting it, all for a very small paint blemish that is only visible when waxing.

YMMV though, I don't think I would be too happy if I could see the imperfection from the driver's seat. If it's the hood, get them to change the hood from a new truck on the lot, or maybe order a painted hood from the factory.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:47 PM
drober30
Veteran

I agree with point#1 trying to match the paint, but at least its the hood which is a stand alone part. It would not really be siting next to another body panel like a door or fender.

#2 not worried about at all.

#3 Hood could be painted off the truck unless there is some reason why they must keep it on?

#4 The inconvenience of dropping it off could be outweighed by having the hood look better.

All good points of consideration!

I would really like to hear from people that are in the body shop/ collision business if the factory paint is superior to the work that's done in a body shop.

Last edited by drober30; 05-21-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Brummo
Captain

I wouldn't either. You might wind up with more dust and dirt under the paint and clear.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:54 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have imperfections and I am not going to do anything. A repainted part is never the same as the original.

If you are going to show it I would get it fixed.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:59 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would definately leave it, i have a blemish on my rocker panel and i only notice it when i'm washing it. I'd rather not subject the truck to possibly becoming worse by dropping it off at the dealership

Old 05-21-2009, 03:12 PM
AL68
Rookie

I wouldn't worry about it, it could come out worse, may not match exactly which will look worse then any small imperfection, the hood does go up against the front fenders and it will be noticeable.

Last edited by AL68; 05-21-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 PM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leave it. It will look better than any body shop and it will be put on record with your VIN and any dealer can pull up the info. Any warranty work is branded to your VIN.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:03 PM
BensGhost
Rookie

Come have a look at mine then you will appreciate just having one blemish. Our truck has them from end to end. Found a big one on the roof just yesterday. It is the biggest on the truck. Also found what looks like a wrinkle in the paint on the hood. It is never ending. If I did not enjoy the truck so much I would be back at the dealer getting the whole thing repainted. However, as long as the crap in the paint does not cause any issues down the road we are not too worried about it. I feel the good aspects of the truck out weigh the poor QC in the paint dept.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 PM
c0mf0rt
Captain

I keep getting dirt all over mine. Mud mostly. I won't get it repainted either.

Quick Reply: Would you have it repainted?