4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Last word on vvt vct and fuel saver

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:15 AM
B.Kaiser1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by topgun
Not true. It will come on with your foot on the gas. Not accelerating but when cruising under light throttle. I have also seen and heard it shut off when you let off the gas. Doesn't make sence as you wouldn't need the power of 8 cyls but it certainly does that.

There is a definite vibration difference when it kicks in not related to sound. Funny people feel their gas pedal that is connected to nothing engine related is vibrating but then they can't feel the shudder when the MDS kicks in and out which reverberates throughout the whole truck.
Well I certainly can't feel or hear it cycle on mine.

I'll bet you have the "fuel saver" light on yours. What year / month is your build? What gear?

QC Sport? Don't they come with a 3.90 final gear on them? If so that would make a huge difference in what you feel.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:17 PM
RTCarlin
Rookie

FWIW.... I've got a 2010 SLT "Big Horn" w/ 20's and 3.92's. I just finished a 3000 mile road trip from Norfolk to Houston and back and had LOTS of time to play with the truck....

My display shows "ECO" when running in the 4 cylinder mode... If you're paying attention, you can tell SOMETHING happens when it goes into/out of ECO mode. There's a slight change in RPM and it almost seems like you go into a mini-overdrive... Very subtle, and easily missed unless you're not paying attention.

It goes into mode when maintaining constant speed or when coasting... I noticed that if I run cruise control, it doesn't go into or stay there as efficiently as when i'm running the pedals....

3000 miles led to a LOT of playing around with everything on the truck....

Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 AM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RTCarlin

3000 miles led to a LOT of playing around with everything on the truck....
What gas mileage did you experience. Im thinking about 3.92's to replace my 3.55's

Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 AM
RTCarlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by 05Dakotaho
What gas mileage did you experience. Im thinking about 3.92's to replace my 3.55's
I managed about 17.5mpg doing between 70 and 80 mph.... I slowed it down on one tank to 55-60 and it went to 19mpg. Temperatures were between 30 and 40 degrees (F).

Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM
rhulm1
Amateur

I have an October 08 build date with no Fuel Save light. For those of you that have the fuel save light, does the MDS kick in when using 4WD Auto or 4WD Lock? I know that MDS is disabled in Tow/Haul mode, but I wasn't sure about 4WD.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Scotrod
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RTCarlin
FWIW....

If you're paying attention, you can tell SOMETHING happens when it goes into/out of ECO mode. There's a slight change in RPM and it almost seems like you go into a mini-overdrive... Very subtle, and easily missed unless you're not paying attention.

It goes into mode when maintaining constant speed or when coasting... I noticed that if I run cruise control, it doesn't go into or stay there as efficiently as when i'm running the pedals....
My EXACT experiences! 09 RCSB w/3.92 Without my EVIC display, it's very hard to tell if you are in 8 or 4.

More 4 cyl mode without cruise control as well.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by 05Dakotaho
Did you change the gears yet? I would say if you are running 20's and thinking about going bigger even........go with 4 11'S OR better yet if you are pulling anything often 4:56's, mileage will suffer but you will love the feeling.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:12 PM
RogueOps

I bought my truck june of 09 no idea what the build date was but it has the fuel saver light, either way you can tell its working without one, one question though, is there a chip(bullydog,diablo, or otherwise) that you can use to set when it comes on, the truck has more then enough power and i put on 250km a day very little of it on flat ground and wish my fuel saver would kick in more often. Anyone have any insight?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Scotrod
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much help here,,, I don't believe you can 'adjust' the MDS with a tuner, just shut it off.

The dealer may be able to flash the ECU to the 'latest' version, which may (or may not!) have more aggressive MDS activation. (The experts here may be able to confirm or condem that!)

In other thoughts:

I rent all kinds of cars for my work travel.

I had an Altima Hybrid once,,,, Put about 500 miles on it. Both city and HWY

On the highway, not much, if any, better mileage than a normal 'Altima'.

But, the hybrid system does 'shine' better at stoplights and at speeds below 20 mph. The engine shuts off and it runs on the batteries. Definate mpg increases over a 'regular' engine.

With that being said, I'd LOVE for Dodge to come up with a way to run in MDS mode while sitting at a stop light, going through the drive through,, etc etc etc,,,

(I bet Dodge would like to accomplish that feat as well!!)

Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 AM
RogueOps

Originally Posted by Scotrod
Not much help here,,, I don't believe you can 'adjust' the MDS with a tuner, just shut it off.

The dealer may be able to flash the ECU to the 'latest' version, which may (or may not!) have more aggressive MDS activation. (The experts here may be able to confirm or condem that!)

In other thoughts:

I rent all kinds of cars for my work travel.

I had an Altima Hybrid once,,,, Put about 500 miles on it. Both city and HWY

On the highway, not much, if any, better mileage than a normal 'Altima'.

But, the hybrid system does 'shine' better at stoplights and at speeds below 20 mph. The engine shuts off and it runs on the batteries. Definate mpg increases over a 'regular' engine.

With that being said, I'd LOVE for Dodge to come up with a way to run in MDS mode while sitting at a stop light, going through the drive through,, etc etc etc,,,

(I bet Dodge would like to accomplish that feat as well!!)
Im sure that would make big oil real happy and prob have something to say about that since it would impact their bottom line since what you just said is a no brainer im sure theres a reason why it hasnt been done, but ill keep my conspiracy theories to myself lol, as far as the hybrid car idea, i wish, but 100km of my daily drive in on gravel or less then gravel roads checking my wells as i am a Contract field operator for an oil company, the flash idea is a good one though, shes goin in for a service tomorrow, 67,000 km in just under a year, ill have to ask them and update here tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Last word on vvt vct and fuel saver