4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tonneau Cover Advisory

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM
KeepOnTruckin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonneau Cover Advisory

Paid for a tonneau cover when I bought my new Laramie. It was the only one of four items on my due bill that wasn't installed (the others were chrome side steps, rear view camera and drop in bed liner).

It's been 10 weeks and never arrived. I was told the OEM won't ship ANY parts to Dodge because Chrysler's in bankrupcy. They won't ship for 30-60 days even if I give them a deposit.

Now I gotta tell ya this is bad business and I think most of y'all would agree. But there it is. They can't beg, borrow or steal a top from another dealership. Situation is dead meat. I decided to wait because I fancy the hard cover top over the 3-way split cover which is soft, and because it looks so damn good when the color matches. Well, there it is. Comments welcome....

Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Mattones
Professional

I would say get your money back and buy it elsewhere?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:32 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems odd since chrysler is no longer in bankruptcy

Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 PM
firedude

ive been waiting for a part for three months. i finally get word that its guaranteed to come in and whatever. i call my shop today, they shipped the wrong part. now magically the one i need is availible in five different places. ive gotten so fed up with chryslers loads of ... that i cant even take it any more. the dealer who was getting the part knew me by the guy thats been waiting, i call today to find out what happened and they magically have no idea who i am and wont even rush the part.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no doubt things are now backed up, especially for the 09 given it is a new model.

Go aftermarket.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Justin89
Rookie

same thing happened to me command start was thrown in on the deal and it was 2 months before they recieved it because of the situation

Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 AM
jvcougar
Amateur

I'm pretty sure the OEM cover is a Leer product (700 or 900???.) If it were me, I'd get my coin back and get the Leer and a good painter.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 PM
finc.jb
Professional

Or you you could go this route and get it painted also (this is the one I am planning on getting btw)

http://www.undercoverinfo.com/models_dodge.html

Old 07-10-2009, 05:44 PM
lancelanz
Veteran

i went through the exact same thing! i had mine paid for and waited for a month and then they told me that "mopar has not authorized the parts to be made" i raised hell about it being in the catalog with no "available late spring" or any other disclaimer. the general manager put it in writing that i could get a leer 700 a the local leonard dealer painted and installed for $1050 which turns out to be almost $200 cheaper than the mopar one. they also told me that it is not a leer but is made by a company called brandon f/x. to me it looks alot like a leer though. my only problem now is that i spent the money i got refunded so now i have to save it up again to get the leer

Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 AM
KeepOnTruckin

Thanks finc. I had an Undercover on my last truck, a 2000 Tundra. It worked okay but doesn't look as nice as the Mopar cover which is shaply and looks like it fits better. So I'll wait for Mopar.

Caution: Careful installation is important. The aftermarket moron who installed it didn't fit the locking mechanism. It barely caught and I had to adjust the fitting. Then about six years later both lifting mechanisms gave out and needed to be replaced. Disappointing because it wasn't like I used it everyday. When the morons replaced it, the lock wouldn't work because they didn't pay any attention to how the lock fit under the holding plate. So I had to adjust it, again.
And regardless of what they advertise, it takes two people to remove the top. The cotter pins at the hinge are cheapo. My wife and I could do it but the thing is too bulky to lift off by one person.

Quick Reply: Tonneau Cover Advisory