4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 PM
72combo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Radio

I am looking at an Alpine aftermarket stereo double din with optional Nav, bluetooth sat etc. You see I am finding out a lot of those deals on the MY Gigs out there some of the REN versions were not removed properly and well they may work but they also may have problems since you are supposed to remove the fuse before removing the neg bat cable. Something about surges etc. So my question is because of these high and low bus speed etc. what do I have to look for or is it going to be one of those buy it and find out it doesn't work and void the warranty etc. Or let them do free install. I want my steering wheel controls to work, everything. Has anyone used a local stereo shop or big chain like BESTBUY or Future Shop in Canada mind you on everything to install an aftermarket radio and what was involved? Does everything work that is what I want to know.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:23 AM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 72combo
I am looking at an Alpine aftermarket stereo double din with optional Nav, bluetooth sat etc. You see I am finding out a lot of those deals on the MY Gigs out there some of the REN versions were not removed properly and well they may work but they also may have problems since you are supposed to remove the fuse before removing the neg bat cable. Something about surges etc. So my question is because of these high and low bus speed etc. what do I have to look for or is it going to be one of those buy it and find out it doesn't work and void the warranty etc. Or let them do free install. I want my steering wheel controls to work, everything. Has anyone used a local stereo shop or big chain like BESTBUY or Future Shop in Canada mind you on everything to install an aftermarket radio and what was involved? Does everything work that is what I want to know.

shouldnt have any problems, it's hard to mess up a HU during uninstall unless you cross wires. As far as removing the fuse, its put there for protection. If too much power came through it wouldve blown the fuse and saved the HU. So pretty much, no worries, most these guys are getting them professionally removed and if not, they must be pretty confident to mess with the electrical on their new truck. It's a win-win for u

Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 AM
72combo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out it is specifically when you reinstall the REN/RER not when you remove it. The surge happens when you reconnect the negative batt cable. So you have to remove the radio fuse before you re-install so no worries on how it was removed unless of course a crow bar was used.
But I was wondering what head unit you guys are using and best places to get them.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio