4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trade In Value

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:20 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if trade in is up since there are no 2009 Rams on the lots, or at least in Iowa.

I drove by the dealership that had 60-80 trucks in March, now they have 4 left.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 PM
jram99
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to them about that and gave it a lot of thought, but also wanted to change some interior things. I removed the sun roof and leather seating. Also added the rear view camera and because it was no longer a pre release truck got the locking tailgate as well. Part of the problem with just changing out the box is it's a $2k option when ordering the truck, but it's more when just buying the bed on it's own, not to mention the addtional wait time since they were heading towards plant shut down/bankruptcy mode. I don't remember exactly what the quoted me on buying the be but seems it was around $3500 and did not include paint or installation. I think in the end I lost a little more than doing it the hard way, but not enough to make it worth doing the hard way. If one of you does swap out your bed to a rambox, let us know what the cost is. If you can find a rambox truck that has been wrecked only in the front, the bed would be even less expensive than buying from dealer. I thought about that too but man that might have been several years waiting for that to happen. Jeff.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:27 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

I just got a online quote for mine and have more coming. It was for 25K$.

A private party sale would probably be better.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:04 PM
GMacGyver

Well I got my answer. Sticker: 42,000.00, 13K and the offer was:
27,000.00 + 3,500.00 off sticker for a new one. Not what I was expecting. I came out of a 07 6.7 Diesel and had it in the shop 28 times for check engine light. Filed a lemon law claim and took the 8K Chrysler offered me. Took a real bath on that one. Edmon's shows 27K to 30K for my truck. So I will try a couple of other dealers, don't expect much though, They have their pockets full from the "Cash for Clunkers" right now.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

There are not a lot of incentives left for Dodges. That sounds like a decent offer. How much did you actually pay for the truck?

Old 08-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Adding the Laramie options after the fact is a lot more than adding them up front. If the Ram Box bed is $3,500, plus paint and install, that's going to be quite pricey in the end. And how many people are really looking for a regular '09 bed these days? Who would you really be able to sell it to?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

well a lot more people have the regular beds.. so if someone wrecked theirs you would have a much larger pool of people who would be needing a replacement... or if someone sideswipes a pole you could sell it to them so thier insurance doesnt get raised and dont have to pay thier deductable anyway...

I'm sure most companies (especially construction) are not going for the ram box due to the price and diminished bed space... so I'm sure when a bed gets banged up due to a negligent employee.. again.. a larger pool of people wanting a regular bed...

I would hold onto it and just keep re-listing it on craigslist for about 6 months... I'm sure you would get your asking price... or contact a salvage yard and let them know you have one... so if someone calls and asks for it the yard can alert you and maybe you can give them a percentage

Old 08-29-2009, 08:49 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by jram99
GMacGyver, I bought an 09 in Nov of 08 then decided I just couldn't live without the rambox. I traded the Nov truck on a rambox truck in April. I had 2551 miles. I paid $35k for the truck in Nov and they gave me $27k trade in April. Because the truck was financed I was upside down $10,700. I got $9700 in incentives in April. So basically I paid sticker for the new truck by the time it was all said and done. Buying the truck in Nov was a really bad decission on my part. I convinced myself that I didn't need or want the rambox and bought the truck. Didn't have it 2 mos before I was kicking myself in the ***! My wife and I tend to keep our vehicles for 10 years or more so I just decided I would take the hit and make the rambox truck last 12-15 years this time. In order to get my payments the same I had to fork over $6k down payment and I found a credit union to finance me at 3.8%. My suggestion is that you sell your truck for the most you can get yourself, pay off the difference, then go to the dealer starting from scratch. I do understand that feeling though of wanting something after the fact. Jeff.
Did you price the Rambox alone in your colour I am sure it would not be 10 grand or could you have not just bought the sides, I think its the same floor and have a body shop put it together and then you could sell the sides to the collision shop or give them to them for the work, plus paint of course.

Last edited by 72combo; 08-29-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

So what were all of the options you wanted that you didn't have? Cooled seats? Center console? Radio? Backup cam?

Old 08-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
Adding the Laramie options after the fact is a lot more than adding them up front. If the Ram Box bed is $3,500, plus paint and install, that's going to be quite pricey in the end. And how many people are really looking for a regular '09 bed these days? Who would you really be able to sell it to?
You'd be surprised how many beds get ruined at construction sites. As DocFlutey said, you'd probably be able to sell it within a few months time, thus recouping a decent chunk of change. $10 grand is a big hit to take and I was merely suggesting a potentially cheaper solution for forum readers who might be considering a similar move. Just food for thought.

Quick Reply: Trade In Value