4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Selling Wheels? (Mine were stolen)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 PM
DKCSAR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to dump my Laramie wheels for some KMC's. I've only got 1,700 miles on my truck. The only issue from my perspective is the shipping.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:00 AM
KeepOnTruckin

Bummer, dude.
Now I may be wrong (and accept suggestions) but it seems to me that if these semi-professional crooks really wanna steal your tires, lug nut locks aren't going to prevent them. I had them on my my Tundra and kept forgetting where the devil I stored them. So when I visited my tire dealer, I was in a jam, or if I had a flat. My tire guy had sets of lock "keys" so it made no difference anyway, and off they came. I finally changed them out and threw them away.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Husker_Ram

It's like any security device. If someone really wanted to steal your truck, an alarm isn't going to stop them. I see security devices as more of a deterrent than anything else. Most thieves are lazy, they look for least resistance. If you make it just a bit harder for them to take your property. They might just move on to the next guy. But if they are determined to take your stuff, you're right they'll figure out a way to take it. If someone really wants my wheels, they need to work a little harder to take them. I'll let my insurance company deal with it. It's why we pay good money for that coverage.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:11 AM
k71000
Rookie

Sorry for to hear that! That sucks big time. I know what it's like to be a victim of theft. Hope there isn't too much demage on your truck!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Spokane_Dodge
Rookie

Originally Posted by Husker_Ram
It's like any security device. If someone really wanted to steal your truck, an alarm isn't going to stop them. I see security devices as more of a deterrent than anything else. Most thieves are lazy, they look for least resistance.
Bingo +1

That is why the simplest things are best. Motion sensor floods that cost you $40 are great. And what is just as efficiant as owning a home alarm system? Owning the ADT yard sign and putting it right out front.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:35 PM
lynchmob
Rookie

Okay - installed some major motion detecting halogens and got some wheel locks (also researching alarms like thee Automate someone mentioned).

The Discount Tire guy told me that 20" Dodge and GM wheels are the most stolen factory wheels. I would strongly advise everyone to get or use the Mopar lock lugs ($40).

I should get the truck back this week. Wheels were on back order from Dodge, should be there Monday. I want the shop to take their time inspecting the suspension and brake parts, though. Thanks for all the sympathy and advice!

Last edited by lynchmob; 08-30-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added alarm note
Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 PM
RamPhreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lynchmob
OK. Talked to insurance and me buying new wheels and tires ain't the best option, they prefer to do it. Thanks for the PMs, though.

To answer some questions... Lone Star = Big Horn, i think. Mine came with 20" painted aluminum. I didn't have locking lugs (kinda assumed they were standard), but will now.

Any quick tire upgrade recommendations?

Check your window sticker to see if the truck was supposed to come with wheel locks......the Big Horns do.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 PM
lynchmob
Rookie

That's interesting... I will check when I get the truck back. Since my dealer was shut down, I had to go to my least favorite dealer to get the lugs (only close one with a parts dept open on Sat.).

Not sure what my recourse would be, though. I am absolutely positive that I didn't have lock nuts in my glove box or console.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 PM
RamPhreak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the minimum they should give you the wheel locks for free if it is on there and you did not get them. They didn't install mine for me when I bought the truck prolly cuz I got it on a Sunday night. Found them in the middle console. It is on the sticker though.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:34 PM
War Horse
All Star

Well, sounds like you're getting everything taken care of. It's still a ****ty situation though.

Quick Reply: Selling Wheels? (Mine were stolen)