4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any benifit to a K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:02 PM
scott_r
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any benifit to a K&N filter

I just purchased a K&N replacement filter for my 1500 5.7L and was wondering if they are worth buying? I was told it would increase HP and fuel economy vs using the stock filters. Any truth to this? Do you guys use them and are they worth the added expence?

Cheers!!

Old 09-06-2009, 07:15 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

i have no idea but i just bought one today and ill see tomorrow

Old 09-06-2009, 08:12 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like them because you don't have to keep buying paper filters. As far as power, I didn't notice a difference, yet I didn't look for one. Gas mileage stayed the same.

The downside is that some people believe they don't filter as well. I don't agree. I had an oil sample done and it showed the air filter was doing its job.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

Be careful with oiled filters, sometimes they come over-oiled from the factory and after cleaning and reoiling the residual oil will come off and attach itself onto the mass airflow sensor. The sensor then has to be removed and cleaned with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. This had been an issue on over at the Corvette Forum. The fix was to throw out the oiled gauze filter and go back to the factory paper unit - testing showed if held more dirt before clogging and flowed almost as well as the K&N filter while trapping more dirt.

On the C6 Corvette Z06's the K&N filter claimed a 27 horsepower gain - which was quickly lost when the computer readjusted for the additional airflow the horsepower gains were lost.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Thatmarkguy
Be careful with oiled filters, sometimes they come over-oiled from the factory and after cleaning and reoiling the residual oil will come off and attach itself onto the mass airflow sensor. The sensor then has to be removed and cleaned with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. This had been an issue on over at the Corvette Forum. The fix was to throw out the oiled gauze filter and go back to the factory paper unit - testing showed if held more dirt before clogging and flowed almost as well as the K&N filter while trapping more dirt.

On the C6 Corvette Z06's the K&N filter claimed a 27 horsepower gain - which was quickly lost when the computer readjusted for the additional airflow the horsepower gains were lost.
I agree with the over oiling. I have heard of different vehicles having that problem. I make sure not to over oil mine when I clean it.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:43 PM
ran jr
Veteran

Originally Posted by Thatmarkguy
Be careful with oiled filters, sometimes they come over-oiled from the factory and after cleaning and reoiling the residual oil will come off and attach itself onto the mass airflow sensor.
Not an issue on the Dodge. It doesn't use a MAS, it uses a MAP sensor.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:53 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the way to fix the over oiling problem is to put the filter in an old pillow case after you lightly oil it and swing it around. Almost all the excess oil will be absorbed by the pillow case while you swing it around. I know many people who do this with oiled filters to prevent the MAS problem....and yes the dodge has a MAP sensor so not really a problem but still a good idea to swing the filter to remove extra oil.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

There are other sensors oil can contaminate. Intake temp, MAP, etc.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
ran jr
Veteran

Originally Posted by sarguy01
There are other sensors oil can contaminate. Intake temp, MAP, etc.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but no other sensor is in direct airflow like the MAS. The MAS spans the entire intake trac to get a good sample whereas the others just poke their heads in to say hi.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ran jr
Correct me if I'm wrong, but no other sensor is in direct airflow like the MAS. The MAS spans the entire intake trac to get a good sample whereas the others just poke their heads in to say hi.
Yes, you are right. The temp sensor sensor sticks into the air flow a little and the MAP's tip sticks into the air as well.

I know we keep bringing up SRT-4's, but the intake temp sensor was always covered in oil from blow by even though it barely stuck out into the air stream.

Either way, keeping a K&N oiled properly will keep excess oil out of the intake track.

Quick Reply: Any benifit to a K&N filter