4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Lift Air Bag How To:

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Stonewhiteram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mixgt
I forget, with 85 psi in the bags.
Eh????? the instructions for the Airlift bags say 35 lbs max. 85 would explode the bags.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:19 AM
mixgt
Rookie

I dont know about you but my destructions said 100 lbs. anywhere between 5 and 20 empty. I drove from Missoula Montana to Anchorage AK like this, and funny I didnt hear an explosion.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:15 PM
RX-1-SS

I'm confused too. I just put in a set and my instructions say 5psi minimum-35psi maximum. On the next page of the instuctions it says that if you hook up each bag to a separate valve it is not uncommon to have a 50psi difference in bags to level your load eg. 50psi on left 100psi on right?????????????

Old 09-19-2009, 03:23 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bet the 35 psi is what you put in when the truck has no load on it. As the springs compress, the air inside the bags will increase as they are squished so they don't want you to put in 100 psi with no load since when you do put stuff in the back you could easily double the pressure in the bags when the suspension starts to sag. My dad has some of the firestone airbags on his F-250 and the most we have ever put in was 20 psi to level the truck and that is with 3500 pounds in the back. But that is a different setup on a different truck so it could be way different than the setup for our trucks since his bags are not inside a spring.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:54 PM
mixgt
Rookie

After unloading everything I lowered my pressure to 20 psi. My truck was as stiff as a board. With the truck empty im only running 5 psi in them. Its also better to run a seperate line and valve to each bag. This way your not transfering air from one bag to the other. Thats my .2

Old 09-20-2009, 01:03 AM
stvsherrod
Professional

i'm going with the 35psi unloaded theory. kinda hard to have a 50psi difference between bags if you can only end up with 35psi even on a loaded truck. just my

Originally Posted by RX-1-SS
I'm confused too. I just put in a set and my instructions say 5psi minimum-35psi maximum. On the next page of the instuctions it says that if you hook up each bag to a separate valve it is not uncommon to have a 50psi difference in bags to level your load eg. 50psi on left 100psi on right?????????????

Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Stonewhiteram
Rookie

Hmm, now I am confused. I have the Airlift 1000 bags and the "destructions" say 35 psi max with 5 psi to maintain the bags from getting pinched when there is no load. That is the way I have been running and it seems to work great.

I dont know about you but my destructions said 100 lbs. anywhere between 5 and 20 empty. I drove from Missoula Montana to Anchorage AK like this, and funny I didnt hear an explosion.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After unloading everything I lowered my pressure to 20 psi. My truck was as stiff as a board. With the truck empty im only running 5 psi in them. Its also better to run a seperate line and valve to each bag. This way your not transfering air from one bag to the other. Thats my .2
That won't happen. Think of this, say you fill your tires to 35 psi. When you add 1000 lbs to your truck, there is still 35 psi in each tire. The pressure will not increase.

The same with the bags, the pressure will not increase with the load. So with the tee installed, the pressure in each bag will always be the same.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Ironsides
Professional

Originally Posted by sarguy01
That won't happen. Think of this, say you fill your tires to 35 psi. When you add 1000 lbs to your truck, there is still 35 psi in each tire. The pressure will not increase.
I don't agree. If the weight added to the truck causes the tires to squat, then the volume of the tires will decrease, increasing the pressure of the air in the tire. Same with the airbags in the springs.

But if the tires don't squat, then yes, the pressure stays the same.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:28 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ironsides
I don't agree. If the weight added to the truck causes the tires to squat, then the volume of the tires will decrease, increasing the pressure of the air in the tire. Same with the airbags in the springs.

But if the tires don't squat, then yes, the pressure stays the same.
I encourage you to go try it then.

On my 05 Ram I loaded it to the gills. A full bed and a 5500 lb trailer. I checked the cold tire pressure and it was always the same, before and after loading it.

The only thing that will change tire pressure greatly is temperature.

Here is a link to read.
http://action.publicbroadcasting.net...st/529411.page

Quick Reply: Air Lift Air Bag How To: