4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chip/Programmer question on MDS

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Milez5858
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip/Programmer question on MDS

Now that some chips and programmers are available, I'm wondering if there are any who have already tried them and can tell me how the work with the MDS.

I'm essentially hoping that there is a bit of control in that if you tune for performance, obviously less MDS, and if you tune for economy, you get more MDS.....

My guess is though that it really doesn't work that way. (yet).

Old 10-14-2009, 01:04 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

With the Diablo you can turn MDS on or off. I don't know whether or not the tunes address the frequency with which it cuts on or off. If it isn't it probably could be in a custom tune. Read the thread titled "Diablo Review". The guy I mention in the first post tunes fleet vehicles for better fuel economy. I'm sure he could write you a tune for performance, and another for mpg's.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:14 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I dug into Diablos forum last night after reading everyone’s positive posts here. Learned a lot over there.

It is off or on as mopowar says. I also saw where a 300 owner was having a surge issue with MDS under a performance tune. Later a new flash seem to correct that issue.

MPG should go up based on the "efficiency" which the new tune provides. Reports have been around 1 extra MPG, give or take a few tenths.

The "cheap" model is almost $400. To make it easy we will say 1 more MPG, which is 26 miles per tank or about 1.5 extra gallons per tank.

If fuel costs $2.50 that is a savings of 3.75 per tank. That would take 106 tanks of fuel or about 44K miles to recoup your tuner costs. Now you need to factor in octane. If you are running 89 (which performance minded people should be doing) you will then move to 91-93. Being the performance minded people you will not likely run the 87 tune. This will cost an additional 2.60 over a fill up with 89. So net you savings per fill up is 1.15 per tank. Which means 347 tanks or about 146K miles. Now… If you decldie to run the 87 tune and are pumping 89 today, well your RONA would be closer to 20K miles and would make sense if you are looking at saving $$.

Summary... If you want the max performance that a tuner can give you do not expect to get "overall savings" from a tuner. If you only want a little performance you can save in the long run (running 87 tune).

EDIT.... I only attacked the MPG numbers as your original posts seems to indicate getting more out of MDS, ie getting a little more MPGs.

Last edited by CarGuyOhio; 10-14-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:47 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Another thing that might be worth mentioning is that when you flash your PCM it is reset. You will most likely get a drop off in mpg's for the first 50-100 miles because the adaptives have been erased and the PCM will hunt more for the correct a/f ratio under normal driving conditions (anything but warm up and wot).

Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Who makes a CHIP? Post makes mention of one being available? Chips and programmers are TWO differant items.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Milez5858

Thanks for all that info. There is definately not enough savings there to warrant the programmer. I could definately see used on fleet vehicles though. I'm 1 mile from work, so even with camping and towing in the summer, I do less than 10 000 miles per year.

Performance though.... now that's a different story. I was never a power hog, but I find since driving the hemi I just want more and more . LOL. It would be nice even just to get the truck over 400 HP ... just for fun.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:11 AM
stvsherrod
Professional

the diablo predator can be bought for $300 and the trinity for $600. i would just like to be able to use the 390hp we have now.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Milez5858

What do you mean "be able to use the 390hp we have now" ?

Are you talking about the shifting? I used the +/- on the shifter like a paddle shifter sometimes. If you hold the minus, it will jump down to lock it in first gear... then..push the + for each shift up you want to do. Takes a bit of practise to get it feeling smooth but it works.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:38 PM
72combo
Champion

Really.............

Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 PM
stvsherrod
Professional

Originally Posted by 72combo
Really.............

i guess it's the TM on it that stops the engine from doing what it should do.. you shouldn't have to buy a programmer to unlock the full potential of the engine. they advertise 390hp, i should be able to roast the tires in this like i do my 68 Chevelle but can i? nope, not without a tuner. even if the tuner didn't add any hp/tq and just removed the TM it would be like a completely different truck. every part of the driveline should be handle the power the engine puts out. and some are really putting it to the test now! i'm lovin it..

Quick Reply: Chip/Programmer question on MDS