4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Multimedia Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Jimmyjay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multimedia Issues

I have a question? How can I get my Itune Files into my Hard Drive on my 2009 Ram. The Itune files are a M4P and protected. Is there a download or software I can use to help me with this?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 AM
milkman1371
Professional

I am pretty experienced with iTunes. You should be able to convert them to MP3 files. In recent time Itunes has not been protecting their music due to the all the business they are losing and the USB thumb drive technology.

You should be able to right click on the song of choice and scroll down to "create a MP3 version". Once you do that put the MP3 on a thumb drive and throw it on you HDD.

Why not just get a iPod adapter?

Any more questions just post up. I can help further if this doesnt work.

There are also longer ways to do it if your music is older and still protected. I can tell you this though. I took all my music off my desktop computer and put a newer version of iTunes in my laptop and the music and most of it was no longer protected on my laptop. I am not sure if there is a certain date on the itunes songs that from that point forward they "unprotect" it or what. But most of my "newer" music from the last year suddenly became unprotected.

Last edited by milkman1371; 10-28-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM
72combo
Champion

Is it possible to hook up my laptop to the usb drive and load my music from there. I just have MP3s most left over from Napster days. So how do I do it anyway? Do I need a USB cable that has the same ends? Is there such a thing?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Chaosrawn
Professional

Convert to mp3 in iTunes.
copy from computer to thumb drive.
Copy to Mygig via usb.

I've heard mp3 from computer to mygig is problematic.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 AM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by Chaosrawn
Convert to mp3 in iTunes.
copy from computer to thumb drive.
Copy to Mygig via usb.

I've heard mp3 from computer to mygig is problematic.
Problematic meaning you don't know what the problem is or just in general. You can't say that and not back it up, I guess I will do it with the thumb drive. I have enough laying around.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
milkman1371
Professional

I have not tried computer to My Gig directly. I dont know if it will work. I was told that the My Gig will look for a USB storage device. I am not sure if you hook up your laptop that it will show as an external drive.

I think the files load at the My Gig's terms not when you tell a computer to load them if that makes sense. Someone will have to try it, I am not as I having ZERO issues right now!!!

The My Gig is just looking for a mass storage device, i.e thumb drive, SD card with an adapter, etc.

As Chaosrawn and I both said, convert and transfer. If that doesnt work let us know, there are other, longer ways..

You can burn the protected files to music CD format. You then can reload the songs back on to you computer as MP3 format from the CD. This unprotects them. It is time consuming but effective. Use a CD-RW so you dont waste discs!

Hope this helps..

Old 10-29-2009, 09:51 AM
HemiRAMV8
Professional

Doug's Scripts has exactly what you need. It's an Apple Script that takes a playlist, converts it to MP3 and then exports it. I have used it quite a bit on mine.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/script...nvertandexport

As for Computer hooked directly to MyGig, that is not likely to work. The MyGig wants to be the host (which is why it will charge an iPod/iPhone), but so does the computer. USB drives are the intermediary of choice here, but you could also use a USB external HD, if you have one, to speed things up.

Quick Reply: Multimedia Issues