4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Long Post. 17K mile comments and some more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:50 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long Post. 17K mile comments and some more.

So, I decided to write a thread about long term driving for various reasons. I also included some information about the Undercover Tonneau and N-Fab step bars. I wanted to put this info out there for people looking to buy a 4th Gen Ram as well as to reassure people who already have one. I have owned the truck since Feb 09 and have over 17,000 miles on it. It is a TRX-4 Hemi Crew Cab. They come with the 3.92 limited slip and skid plates.

I made chapters if you want to skip over parts.
1. Comments on 17,000 miles.
2. Comments on a road trip from Iowa to New Jersey to Florida.
3. Comments on the Undercover Tonneau.
4. Comments on N-Fab Steps.
5. HID Fog lights.

1. I have had no major issues with the truck. I have the seat creak, which was taken to the dealer and "fixed". Yeah right. I also have the brake pedal squeak.

My worst tank of gas was 11 mpg and the best was 17 mpg. My truck weighs 5700 lbs. I weighed a wheel and tire today, if anyone cares, and it came in at 69 lbs. That is the 275 on a 17" aluminum wheel.

The Wrangler AT/S is a great tire. Mine still looks new. There is a ton of tread left. I have had them in snow and gravel and have zero complaints. I expect to get to 50k with these tires.

I noticed some factory blemishes on the paint, but overall I am happy with the truck. The inside still smells new. If I were to buy it again, I still would get the TRX-4, though I really wish Dodge offered a 3.55 limited slip.

2. The road trip was from Ames Ia, to Marlton NJ, to Milton Fl. I had the wife, a 4 year old, a 8 week old and a 70 lb dog. It had 1200 lbs of people and cargo in it. I know because I had it weighed before and after.

I could not tell it was so heavy. It accelerated fine and the brakes worked like it was empty. I was very pleased. I do have Air Lift air bags installed. The back end did not squat and the ride was the same as every other day.

I got around 16.5 to 17 mpg. I went 70-75 mph the whole way. I am pretty confident that 60 mph would deliver around 18 mpg and 65 mph would deliver around 17.5 mpg. I hand calculated these numbers.

It got a little cramped inside since we had so much stuff in it, but the seats were comfortable the whole time. We spent days in it and never had a single complaint.

3. The Undercover Tonneau is awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a hard cover. It is easy to go on and off, my wife helps me, and it will hold me on top of it. In fact, the whole trip I had a stroller, baby seat, a suitcase, and a folding crib under a tarp strapped to the top since we ran out of room in the bed. It will hold a decent amount of weight.

If you want one and are on the fence, rest aussured, you will be happy with one.

4. N-Fab steps are great looking, but a pain to clean. The gloss black powder coat does scuff easily from shoes. I hit a curb or two with them since they do hang low, but they are built very well and you can't even tell.

I would recommend them, but maybe with the textured black powder coat.

5. HID fog lights. I installed them with a relay, as should everyone. The relays are cheap insurance that your harness won't melt no matter what the maker of the kit says.

They are too bright for every night use, so I use them like a high beam. It takes a second to warm up, but I still use them quite often. They make great off road lights.

After 17,000 miles, I still love this truck.

Last edited by sarguy01; 11-01-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:13 AM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write-up Luke. Enjoyed reading all of it

Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get ready for an apparent rear diff fluid change at 18k miles. This will be my only complaint for the truck so far (at 17300 mi).

Quick Reply: Long Post. 17K mile comments and some more.