4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2009/2010 ram sport license front plate baracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:23 PM
canuck67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009/2010 ram sport license front plate baracket

I just took possession on Friday of my new 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. After a couple of days I have just had the chance today to go over the features and discard of the dealership tags and license plate frames they put on, and I found where the front plate mounts, the plate is just screwed into the molded, color matching plastic bumper. Does anyone know if this is standard, or is there a front license plate bracket available. Seems kind of cheap in my opinion, but i cannot seem to find anything on the internet, and of coarse I didn't notice when I picked up the truck. Rear bumper is kind of similar too, no specific mounting holes, just screwed into the black plastic that forms around that area. If I recall correctly, my 2006(Laramie) had specific mounting brackets and specific screw holes.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 PM
stvsherrod
Professional

same here.. pissed me off when i figured out it was just screwed into the plastic.. a front plate isn't required in oklahoma so i wish they would have just not put it on there.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:03 PM
War Horse
All Star

Ditto here as well. I bought the truck in Texas where front plates are required, but tagged it in North Carolina which only has the back plate. Needless to say I wasn't too happy when I pulled the dealer's front tag off and found those giant holes. It nearly drove me nuts, almost to the point where I wanted to replace the front bumper just because of them. I tried filling them with epoxy and then touch-up paint, but that looked almost as bad. In the end I found http://www.bumperplugs.com/ which sells small color matched plugs to fill them in. It's a crying shame to pay $30 for two plugs, but as least I can live with the way they look.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:13 PM
canuck67

Thank for the replies, and for the link for the plugs (Not a bad looking fix.... I know what you mean, I would have considered the same in replacing just to get rid of them)

Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 AM
stvsherrod
Professional

checked out that link.. i sent them an email cause they don't list the color of my truck.. sure is an expensive fix for something so stupid but i don't like having a plate on the front and i'm sure not leaving just holes there.. might have to check out the key hole plugs too but i really can't remember what the key holes look like on my doors!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 AM
72combo
Champion

I think there is just a divot before the dealer screws on their advertising bracket. I am not positive but I remember seeing an 09 before it was plated and there was just small indents as a guide more or less.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:09 AM
War Horse
All Star

You're exaclty right 72combo. There's just a couple of small divots there as a guide in case you ever do have to put a plate on and so that you won't drive yourself nuts figuring out where the center of the bumper is.

The price for the plugs is ridiculous, but as you can see the sight is geared more toward Porsche, Ferrari, and other high end models, so $30 for a couple of plugs are just a drop in the bucket for them.

Oh, and you did the right thing by emailing them stvsherod. They have a chart on there, but there was no way in heck I was chancing getting the code wrong myself and them getting a couple of plugs that don't even match the shade.

Quick Reply: 2009/2010 ram sport license front plate baracket