4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Knocking sound when accelerating - Solution

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 03:28 AM
cpelton
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking sound when accelerating - Solution

In the past couple days a knocking noise developed which could be felt through the floor of the truck. It made noise on the initial weight shift of the truck when accelerating or decelerating. I found it to be one of the rear links, the bolt which attaches it to the frame was slightly loose. Just a heads up if anyone hears this noise, I read somewhere of a similar issue.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:12 AM
AZdave
Professional

Did you throw some thread locker on it or just crank-down on it?

Old 11-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

What rear link? Sometimes I hear a light clunk, but not every time and its usually faint. Also, how many miles on your truck before it developed this symptom?

Old 11-13-2009, 02:55 PM
cpelton
Veteran

It happened to be the lower right hand although it could happen to any of them. That is probably what it is as mine was faint as well and not all the time, small noises like that drive me off the edge until I find out what it is.

Try having someone jump on the rear bumper - this duplicated the noise for me and put your hand on each of the links, you will feel a clunk if one is loose. It wasn't dangerously loose, it took a wrench to turn the bolt but I think it lost its clamp on the rubber bushing and the noise was coming from the bushing moving. I have 20,000km now but I also had the whole suspension apart to install the lift at 10,000km. I did install all hardware with blue loctite and torqued to spec.

Quick Reply: Knocking sound when accelerating - Solution