4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to disable ESP when stuck in mud?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010 | 01:42 PM
72combo
Champion

No message saying its off, I am going by the fact that I can spin the tires is 4x4 on ice. Does that work in 2wd holding the button for 5 seconds I suspect not or there would be no complaining from people.
Maybe I should get mine checked out if you say it should not do that?

Hey mine does not have the Auto position just 2wd 4hi, 4lo, N could that be why?

Old 01-20-2010 | 03:04 PM
usp45compact
Professional

So when you guys hit the button to turn it off, you still can't spin the tires? Not on snow or mud or asphault or anything? Mine has a dash light that indicates (when I avn't turned turned the esp off) when the esp is performing it's job. When I hit the button to turn it off, I can do all sorts of donuts and mess around on ice and snow and no indicator light comes on, nor does it feel like the esp is trying to work. As far as I can tell, mine disengages completely. I wasn't sure how I would like my esp, but it has kicked in immediately on a gravel road when I must have caught something weird and it started to fish tail. Did a real nice job. It's pretty amazing how well it helps on snow also. I tried getting myself stuck in 2wd several times this winter just messing around, but it was really hard to with the esp working, but when I turned it off, there were several times where it wanted to just spin but not really go very far.

Old 01-20-2010 | 04:28 PM
tombogue09
Captain

I can spin the tires but I can tell the esp is still on by the sound it makes. Sounds like ABS

Old 01-20-2010 | 05:27 PM
jayman84
Captain

Originally Posted by 72combo
No message saying its off, I am going by the fact that I can spin the tires is 4x4 on ice. Does that work in 2wd holding the button for 5 seconds I suspect not or there would be no complaining from people.
Maybe I should get mine checked out if you say it should not do that?

Hey mine does not have the Auto position just 2wd 4hi, 4lo, N could that be why?
I THINK that when we put our trucks in 4wd it swtiches the esp system to a higher threshold before it kicks in. We got about a half inch of ice this morning and with my truck in 4 high and the esp on I could spin the tires more than I can in 2wd with esp on. Also when I switch the esp off in 4wd it takes alot to get it to step in and help me out. And of course when I stop and hold the esp button while in 4wd for about 5 seconds the evic will say "esp system off" and then I have total control with no esp to step in. So I wouldn't worry about checking it out at the dealer unless you think that it will let you get into too much trouble with the esp on in 4wd.

Old 01-20-2010 | 06:30 PM
72combo
Champion

I am going to have to pay more attention next time it gets snow.

Old 01-20-2010 | 07:05 PM
stvsherrod
Professional

when there was snow here i tried to play around a bit and when the tires started spinning the truck fell on it's face.. so bad that i thought it shut off completely. after maybe a second it went back to normal, kinda like hitting the speed limiter. once i pushed the ESP button i could play around all i wanted with no problems spinning the tires.. that was in 2 wheel drive. i can't remember ever trying it in 4 wheel drive or ever holding the button down for 4-5 seconds for any reason.. one tap of the button and it dissabled the ESP.

Old 01-20-2010 | 08:11 PM
jayman84
Captain

Originally Posted by stvsherrod
when there was snow here i tried to play around a bit and when the tires started spinning the truck fell on it's face.. so bad that i thought it shut off completely. after maybe a second it went back to normal, kinda like hitting the speed limiter. once i pushed the ESP button i could play around all i wanted with no problems spinning the tires.. that was in 2 wheel drive. i can't remember ever trying it in 4 wheel drive or ever holding the button down for 4-5 seconds for any reason.. one tap of the button and it dissabled the ESP.
Yeah but in 2wd it only lowers the amount that the esp will help you, it doesn't shut it off completely. And it will not completely disable it in 2wd either, you have to be in 4wd.

Old 01-20-2010 | 09:02 PM
jason2922
Veteran

Not sure about 2wd, but for 4x4 - there is only one actual method of turning off the esp without disconnecting sensors. It was on popular mechanics and I think another main 4x4 comp. There is also a thread with the link, it deals with turning the wheel, holding a button, turn the wheel and hold the button, it's a awful process... and it's only for 4hi/4low

Old 01-20-2010 | 09:24 PM
jayman84
Captain

Originally Posted by jason2922
Not sure about 2wd, but for 4x4 - there is only one actual method of turning off the esp without disconnecting sensors. It was on popular mechanics and I think another main 4x4 comp. There is also a thread with the link, it deals with turning the wheel, holding a button, turn the wheel and hold the button, it's a awful process... and it's only for 4hi/4low
well why not cut out all the wheel turning and do it like you are supposed to. All you do is put the truck in 4hi or 4lo, stop and hold the esp off button while stationary and in 5 seconds it will be 100% off.

Old 01-20-2010 | 10:43 PM
jason2922
Veteran

that will not turn it off 100% is what we're trying to say. yes, there is a light and message saying "esp off" but it is still not 100% off, it only increases the % close to 100. There is only one way to properly turn it 100% off and it was listed in another thread and popular mechanics. It will also stay off until you do the procedure again.

Quick Reply: How to disable ESP when stuck in mud?