4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

This noise is driving me crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:08 PM
DWB2010RAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This noise is driving me crazy!!!

What's up everyone, well for the last three days now I have been hearing this noise in the truck whenever I go over a bump or indent in the road. It's not really a rattle or a creaking noise but something like that, and it sounds like it's right in front of me when I'm driving. I think it's coming from either where the headliner, dash or A pillar meets the windshield. Now I've heard it once before when it was really cold outside but when it warmed up it went away. Now it's just there, it doesn't really matter what temp it is. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:24 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Same here but only when the temps dropped down to the 20's. A crackle sound.

The price we pay for buying a truck with such a super quiet cab I guess.

Never hear those things in the '05 Dakota.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 PM
RBRK
Rookie

It could be the hood, there is a RRT for applying a anti-friction tape to the underside of the hood where the bumpers rub. I had a similar noise to what you describe, I swore it was inside, but it was the hood. It went away after I put the tape on. The later build trucks have the tape.

Open your hood and look u at it when open and see if you have some clear tape in the dimple areas where the square blocks would rub that are above the headlamps.

if not, that is my first suggestion.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 PM
72combo
Champion

Do you have running boards or those round ones.....those rattled on the drivers side for me dealer couldn't fix it so I did. My a cripple and my broinlaw, I banged on the tube he figured out where the rattles now plural were coming from the bolts were not tight and the bracket rubs on the truck. So now I have this on the other side happening. Oh we had to put a piece of rubber between one bracket on the drivers side.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:26 AM
Medic1
Professional

Originally Posted by 72combo
Do you have running boards or those round ones.....those rattled on the drivers side for me dealer couldn't fix it so I did. My a cripple and my broinlaw, I banged on the tube he figured out where the rattles now plural were coming from the bolts were not tight and the bracket rubs on the truck. So now I have this on the other side happening. Oh we had to put a piece of rubber between one bracket on the drivers side.
I had this as well. The tech had a few Rams in with the same issue and they did pretty much the same as you....installed rubber bushings at all the attachment points and its been perfectly quiet ever since.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 AM
kddsRam
Veteran

easy rule out if it's the hood, pop the hood release but leave it latched and drive over same bump where it made the noise before to see if it stops. I had the same and it was a pia to find out where it was coming from.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:13 PM
briansg

for me it's the head liner i have a larime with sunroof. i took it back to the dealer and they "replaced" it (not sure if they just put more contact cement down or really replaced it) after that it went away for a few weeks but it's back now.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:51 PM
DWB2010RAM

Originally Posted by briansg
for me it's the head liner i have a larime with sunroof. i took it back to the dealer and they "replaced" it (not sure if they just put more contact cement down or really replaced it) after that it went away for a few weeks but it's back now.
Do you hear it all the time, or only when it's cold? I have a sport with a sunroof and I think it's coming from the headliner too. I was just wondering if I should bring it to the dealer or not. But yesterday I had to do quite a bit of driving and I noticed that it went away after a while. Also today I was bringing my son to his basketball game and I didn't hear it at all. It figures I hear it for three days straight, and now I post this thread and it seems like I don't hear it anymore. That's probably the same thing that would happen if I bring it to the dealer.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:33 PM
RBRK
Rookie

The headliner uses plastic velcro to hold it up around the sunroof frame, mine was never hooked together on the drivers side, it made noise when cold. If you open the sunroof and stick your head up and look in between the headliner and sunroof frame you will see the black tabs of plastic velcro, you should be able to snap it together.

Just something to check.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:47 AM
sneeks
Professional

I had a similar creaking noise, looked all over the place to find it. It ended up being the back end of the side steps on the driver side from where I apparently didnt tighten it enough and it came a little lose from using it to step into the truck.

Quick Reply: This noise is driving me crazy!!!