4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2 or 4 headlight system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011 | 10:16 AM
roadrnnr
Rookie

Originally Posted by zuiquan1
The adapter is on the back of the quads, it connects the two bulbs into a single plug to be plugged into the truck. You shouldn't have an issue swapping from quad to dual.
Can you give more info like where did you get the Quad assembly and how much was it. I read in another thread that some one tried this and the lows went out when the Highs were on and they went to the dealer to get them to work and were told by chrysler that the dual trucks were not wired for Quads.

You are saying that you got quad assemblys and they just plugged into the dual harness and all the lights worked. I need to do this as the light output from the duals sucks at night.

Also how is the differance in light output between the two?

Thanks,

Old 10-18-2011 | 06:27 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by roadrnnr
Can you give more info like where did you get the Quad assembly and how much was it. I read in another thread that some one tried this and the lows went out when the Highs were on and they went to the dealer to get them to work and were told by chrysler that the dual trucks were not wired for Quads.

You are saying that you got quad assemblys and they just plugged into the dual harness and all the lights worked. I need to do this as the light output from the duals sucks at night.

Also how is the differance in light output between the two?

Thanks,
There are people who went from duals to quads and yes the harness just plugs in and works. The lows will go out when the highs go on, that's the problem when going from duals to quads, something that can't be fixed from what I understand.... To be honest I'd just save up the $$ and purchase HID's and go with the quads. If you switch to quads w/ the stock bulbs it'll be a waste of $$, the stock lights on both are horrible...

I had Dual headlights before...swapped to Quads w/ HID's and projectors. It is a total plug and play kit. Run a wiring harness for the HID's and it's all plug and play, plugs right into the harness that the duals used. Here's a few pics of my truck from when I had duals to quads w/ HID's..

Duals:

IMG_4012 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

Quads w/ HID's...

IMG_4453 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

IMAG0528 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

These are all low beams w/ Fogs..

Old 10-19-2011 | 08:16 AM
roadrnnr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816

I had Dual headlights before...swapped to Quads w/ HID's and projectors. It is a total plug and play kit. Run a wiring harness for the HID's and it's all plug and play, plugs right into the harness that the duals used.
Did you have to hook up ballast and all that for the projectors or just run a harness?

Old 10-19-2011 | 02:44 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Yes you have to mount the ballasts, then plug in the wiring harness in all appropriate places...

Old 10-20-2011 | 12:45 PM
MattsMountain
Professional
Default Bulb upgrade ...

Originally Posted by Beerme
Thanks for all the help.I have the quad set up.Now for my next question- Which is the best upgrade bulbs?? Was thinking about the Slyvania Silverstar ULTRA's?
Are they a PIN to put it?
I just found out today I have the quad setup as I'm researching a short in my passenger side lamps. Figured I'd upgrade bulbs while I was in there. Are these SS Ultra's good? Recommendations??

Old 10-20-2011 | 05:00 PM
roadrnnr
Rookie

Originally Posted by MattsMountain
I just found out today I have the quad setup as I'm researching a short in my passenger side lamps. Figured I'd upgrade bulbs while I was in there. Are these SS Ultra's good? Recommendations??
Am doing the same thing till I can afford HID. Silverstars have a short life expectancy I have heard. Sometimes as short as 8 months to a year.

I am ging to try the Sylvanis Xtravision's. They should last twice s long

Old 10-20-2011 | 06:47 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MattsMountain
Silverstar Ultras are a significant improvement over standard bulbs in other auto and motorcycle applications I've used them in. If you're not planning on switching to HIDs then certainly give them a shot.

As for life expectancy, Silverstar bulbs used to be fairly short lived but bulbs I've purchased in the past 3 or so years have been very reliable. I think the Ultra is also an improvement in life of the standard Silverstar.

Rob

Quick Reply: 2 or 4 headlight system?