4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aftermarket Backup Camera.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:33 PM
TurboGPZ
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Backup Camera.

Can't afford to change the radio and buy a Dodge backup camera. Anyone using an aftermarket one and is happy?????

Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 AM
GapRunr
Rookie

I'm using a keyhole CCD camera plugged into a Garmin Nuvi 5000 GPS. The image quality is excellent, day or night, and the entire setup was less than $300.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
SmittySLT
Rookie

I just got this. For about $150 I couldn't resist. Nice big screen and easy to use. I've always had Garmins and wanted to stay with them but the price is right on this.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?rt=nc&LH...=p3911.c0.m301

Last edited by SmittySLT; 09-02-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: update link
Old 03-28-2010, 03:51 PM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by SmittySLT
I just got this. For about $150 I couldn't resist. Nice big screen and easy to use. I've always had Garmins and wanted to stay with them but the price is right on this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-GPS-Bluetooth-...%3D5%26ps%3D63
What did you tap into for power for the camera in the back?

Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM
TurboGPZ
Professional

GapRunr:

Please tell us more about your camera setup????

Thanks

Old 03-28-2010, 09:29 PM
SmittySLT
Rookie
Default pics

Heres a pic of the camera and the GPS. I had to make a simple mount for the camera to bolt it to the license plate. Wired it to the trailer harness backup wire (white wire with a red tracer)
The suction cup mount seems to be working well so far holding the GPS. The camera comes on as soon as you slip into reverse. Very clear kind of a fish eye view.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Backup Camera.-camera-medium-.jpg   Aftermarket Backup Camera.-gps2-medium-.jpg  
Old 03-28-2010, 10:32 PM
TurboGPZ
Professional

Nice Setup!!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 PM
SmittySLT
Rookie

Thanks! It should help backing my 12' V-hull down the ramp.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:50 PM
GapRunr
Rookie

Originally Posted by TurboGPZ
GapRunr:

Please tell us more about your camera setup????

Thanks
Salut TurboGPZed!

The camera is a standard CCD keyhole camera with Infrared capability for night use. They are available all day long on eBay for $65-$100. The GPS is a Garmin Nuvi 5000. It has a yellow RCA Video IN port. One of the features of the GPS is the ability to show the video IN picture instead of the navigation picture, and you choose how it decides which image to show. I have mine set to display the backup camera image whenever the image signal is present. In order to get power to the CCD camera, I tapped into the reverse light wire. When I shift in reverse the camera gets powered up, it sends a signal to the video IN port of the GPS, and the GPS switches over automatically to that image.

I also drilled a hole in the dash of my 2 day old truck, directly behind where I have the GPS mounted on the dash, so that I could run wires for power, video in, and the external antenna and not have any wires show from the drivers viewpoint.

I've linked to a couple of pictures of the camera installed into the tailgate handle, and of the image seen from the camera. The image I see is much clearer than what it appears in the picture. There was a lot of glare taking a picture of a picture.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 PM
DOO-DREW
Amateur

I'm looking to go with a set up like the two pictured. The Nuvi 5000 must be an older model, it is not listed on Garmin's current product site. I can find them still all over the net. Found a refurb for $129 with factory warranty. Not many other choices with an AV in?? Also found the other model pictured but read many complaints about not being to upgrad the nav program on not a "name brand". How's the Nuvi 5000 or the other model work'n for ya?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Backup Camera.