4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Engine Light - P1004: "Short Runner Valve Control Performance"

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light - P1004: "Short Runner Valve Control Performance"

So I had my check engine light come on this morning while accelerating to pass another vehicle. Accelerated from 40 to 60, pedal to the floor, and as soon as I let off, the light came on. I was running the mileage tune on my Superchips (since I mostly sit in traffic on the way to/from work).

Got to work and checked the code. It's P1004: "Short Runner Valve Control Performance". Tried clearing it several times, but it comes right back on. Turned the truck off and on a few times too. Keeps coming back.

Does anyone think this could be attributed to the superchips? Or is this an unrelated issue? Is this a serious issue? Do I need to take my truck in immediately? Or can it wait a week or two until it's more convenient?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM
09DarkKnight
Amateur

Mine does it all of the time too without a tuner on the truck. It goes off after a a little while. I took it to the dealer the first time it came on, they scanned and told me it was not covered under warranty. Guy was new and was just reading what the computer told him. I have the Maxcare Lifetime Bumper to Bumper, the only thing I can think of for it not being covered is because it would be less than a $100(my deductible amount). I can get it to do it on demand by basically flooring it and right as it gets wound up letting off the gas completely.

I don't think it has anything to do with your tuner.

Do you go downtown on 6th street? I swear I saw your truck on Tuesday around lunch time. Black 09 CC with Challenger hood without the plastic inserts in the scoops with chrome bumpers. It had to be you.

Bill

Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it goes off soon. Clearing it with the tuner didn't work. And as I was driving back from lunch, the Oil Change message came on - it's only been about 4,200 miles - normally it's 6,000+ before the message comes on. Not a good day for me and the truck.

Yeah, that had to be me on Tuesday. I was meeting a buddy downtown for lunch. I work off of West 6th, right at Mopac. You work downtown? I live up next to Avery Ranch.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Oh yeah, forgot to ask - which dealer did you take it to? I've been alternating between Mac Haik and Maxwell (did the same with my '07) and can never decide which is less incompetent.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

I'm not running any programmers, but welcome to my world.

If you keep your foot out of it after about 10 ignition cycles the light will clear itself, but as soon as you nail it, the light will come back on.

They have changed my valve twice, but the second time I noticed that when I do nail it, the growl and the extra oomph it used to have over 4000 RPM is gone. My light doesn't come on with such frequency, but it occasionally comes on and disappears after one or two ignition cycles. When I do take it to the dealer, they say they don't have any codes stored. I don't know if that's the truth or since I'm lemon-lawing my truck they just won't do the extra work.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
sking
Veteran
Old 04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09DarkKnight
Mine does it all of the time too without a tuner on the truck. It goes off after a a little while. I took it to the dealer the first time it came on, they scanned and told me it was not covered under warranty. Guy was new and was just reading what the computer told him. I have the Maxcare Lifetime Bumper to Bumper, the only thing I can think of for it not being covered is because it would be less than a $100(my deductible amount). I can get it to do it on demand by basically flooring it and right as it gets wound up letting off the gas completely.

I don't think it has anything to do with your tuner.

Do you go downtown on 6th street? I swear I saw your truck on Tuesday around lunch time. Black 09 CC with Challenger hood without the plastic inserts in the scoops with chrome bumpers. It had to be you.

Bill
You have an 09 with the lifetime powertrain warranty - how is it not covered? Maxcare is secondary to the factory warranty.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:51 PM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
Oh yeah, forgot to ask - which dealer did you take it to? I've been alternating between Mac Haik and Maxwell (did the same with my '07) and can never decide which is less incompetent.
can we make nominations for Quote of the Day?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:59 PM
09DarkKnight
Amateur

Originally Posted by Sobomaster

I am in outside sales, and work downtown occasionally. I use Maxwell as my primary, MacHaik sends me free oil change coupons about twice a year so I go there when it's free. I hate to take advantage of them like that, but I am not forcing them to send me free coupons. They change the wiper blades too! I like Jonathan at Maxwell, he tries to keep me happy, but this has been the worst Dodge product I have ever owned, it is my 6th Dodge Ram in the past 20 years and will be my last. The rear end is starting to whine again, just had it rebuilt less than 2000 miles ago.

I live in Cedar Park off of E. Park Street.

Bill

Old 05-01-2010, 01:37 AM
RBRK
Rookie

There is a TSB for the problem you have, they replace the valve and extend the wires to the sensor. The wires were too short and would pull on the valve connector under acceleration causing the problem you have. My friends truck had the problem, the bulletin repair fixed it.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - P1004: "Short Runner Valve Control Performance"