4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 inch Mopar Lift Problems and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:28 AM
ryan4ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 inch Mopar Lift Problems and Questions

Hey Guys - New to the forum and new Dodge Ram owner. I just picked up a 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab. I wanted a subtle lift and healthy tires, around 35's... so after research (a lot on here, thanks) I went with the 4 inch Mopar lift (same as Superlift?) as not to void the factory warranty. I purchased BFG MT KM2's, 325/60/20 and tried to install them today... I was shocked to find out the inner sidewall of the tire was mashed against the upper coil spindle tower. I checked it with the stock tires and i could barely fit my finger in between... I was shocked that passed the factory QA. The lift wasn't cheap and 35's are probably the most common and sought after tire size for a full size truck with a 4 inch lift. The Mopar site said that lift could accommodate 37's!

Anyone else run into this problem? Curious if I got a lemon lift or the wrong parts or if this is common. At this point I need a smaller tire, different lift, spacers or new wheels. $120 to ship back the tires, I like the stock 20 inch wheels and I really like the tires, they are bad ***. I am leaning towards spacers...

Any suggestions? How much of a spacer I might need?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 AM
Doc Fluty
Banned

i actually was schooled a little bit on this today while i was shopping for new wheels.

my thinking was my tire is 33 inches now with a 2" drop.. and everythings fine. So i figures raising it back to stock (2") and then adding a spacer i could easily fit 35s. I figured raising the front 4 inches while only adding 2" of tire i should be ok... i was told that it was because of my deep lip and yada yada yada.. the point is, it wouldnt fit.

so i was told i would need something other than stock wheels if i wanted 35s

so you used the stock wheels?

my guess is thats your problem if you did.

the tire your using is 35.5 inches tall and 12.8 inches wide... thats 2" wider than stock and 2 1/2" higher..

everyone ive seen run 35s used a aftermarket wheel with more of an offset

Last edited by Doc Fluty; 06-09-2010 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 AM
BULLRAM
Veteran

Doc that is what I am doing noe, the 33's clear with no problem on my 2wd 6 inch lift, but the clearance is about 3/4 to 1 inch to the spindle arn, so i am trying different things before wheel change.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:29 AM
jball
Professional

Originally Posted by ryan4ram

Any suggestions? How much of a spacer I might need?
Enough to get your wheels to the backspacing that is recommended... The most common listing for these is 4-1/2" of backspacing. Measure your wheels and find out how much spacer you need to get it to 4-1/2".

Did you install it yourself, or did the dealer do all of the work?

Quick Reply: 4 inch Mopar Lift Problems and Questions