4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Same Old Problem - Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 PM
OLLIE77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Old Problem - Sunroof

Help....

I hate to harp on an obvious dead "horse" (Oh shat handle leak), but my "horse" is still kicking...I apologize if this is long winded but I want to be detailed to help you help me.

I have a 2009 RAM 1500 Laramie. My problem seems to be the same as many folks on the few Dodge forums I have visited. I noticed water dripping from my "oh shat" handle and a moisture spot above the molding. I immediately took it in to get fixed. First visit took 2 hours and I was told by the Service Department that the drainage tube was clogged, they unclogged it, they ran it through the car wash, and everything is great, no leak. Well a week later it rains during the night. I get up to go to work and guess what....it leaked again...but worse this time. The wet spot above the "oh shat" handle was bigger and there was significant drips coming from the handle oval top bolt.

I immediately called the Service Department again and scheduled another appointment with the Dodge Brain Trust to look at it again. I even printed some relevant forum posts all documenting the leak problem. Service department lacky stated, "Well I wouldn't believe what you see on the internet. They can post anything on those forums. They don't know what they're talking about." Obviously not alot of oxygen makes it to this guys grey matter in his head.

Well after 2 hours...AGAIN...they can't find a leak or get it to leak. Well, I went home and followed the advice of another thread on another forum and poured water into my sunroof drain hole on the passenger side to get a hands on view....guess what...if f**kin" leaked just like it did before!!!! I called Service Department lacky back and he said those drain tubes are only capable of taking a little amount of water and they back up into the body and whoever said to pour water in the drain tube didn't know what they are talking about. Which I think is B.S. It drained fine but still produced water on the inside. I was very dileberate and careful when I poured the water into the drain hole. He said to try it with everything closed and if it did it again to bring it back. Fortunately and unfortunately, I couldn't produce the leak with everything shut and it hasn't rained again to test the process naturally.

My question is...Is maybe my sunroof inconsistant when it closes and seals and that's why it leaks sometimes but not for the lackies? Should I try a different dealership service department? I just don't want this to be a problem anymore. The Service Department lacky said he checked the hoses for installation and crimps, the third brake light, and blew out the drain hoses and checked it with a power washer, a hose on the sunroof, and the dealership car wash, and with the truck on a slant, no leak.

I hope it doesn't leak again and it is taken care of. I'll update my "progress" as I go. Wish me luck....This is my first truck I've ever owned as I traded a Ford Mustang for this Laramie. I love this truck and never have looked back. I just hate it to be tarnished by a problem that seems to be a simple fix.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:38 PM
sking
Veteran

Check the 3rd brake light also. The other thing to do is trim the rubber where the drain tube comes out of the door jam by the hinges. (open the hole a little). Thats what worked for me.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Medic1
Professional

Not that this offers any help, but I will never own a vehicle with a sunroof again. After 2 diff. vehicles with sunroof leaks I have found that once it starts leaking its a neverending issue. My last vehicle with a sunroof took 15 attempts at a fix (through dealership, private garage and a company called "Leak Pro") before I gave up and sold it.

On a happy note thats when I bought my first Ram so I guess it turned out to be a good thing in the end

Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 AM
finc.jb
Professional

It's the drain tube again, you need to blow out the line on each side of the sunroof. There are little holes that allow pollen and dust etc... to gather and plug it up. Take a compressed air line and blow them out yourself in 5-10 min. Leave the doors open so you can see the stuff blow out.

Hope it helps

Quick Reply: Same Old Problem - Sunroof