4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Update to 4x4 vibration thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:22 AM
bosssman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update to 4x4 vibration thread

So a little update to my previous thread (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...ibrations.html)

I want to know your advice, removed the leveling kit, put it in 4x4 and same issue

Now my mechanic says your differential is f*****, says I should go to the dealer

Show up at the dealer, explain the problem to him, first question out of his mouth - Have you ever changed the differentials ?

The way he asked the questions and the reaction he had, it almost looked like I wasnt the first one with that problem...

Anyone hear of any recalls/Issues with the front differentials or what not ???

Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume he meant, have you ever changed the differential fluid?
How many miles have you got on it?

When you are testing in 4wd are you running on dry pavement?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM
SolarPLEX
Rookie

I just changed my first oil change my self this weekend and checked out the front suspension over for a while, i dont understand the vibration, the cv shafts are fairly horizontal and if you do a 2" level i cant see them going any more of a extreme angle than the suspension fully compressed. If anything this vibration everyones experiencing is dodges fault in the design, lifted or not they need to design for worse case.

What is this vibration anyways? Is it like i vibration noise coming from the front like a bearing is going or is the whole truck shaking or what? The one day i had my whole truck shake doing 130kmph down the highway, it was -30 and my tires were low from the temp in auto 4x4 but i have not felt the shake since i filled my tires so i assumed it was the cold deformed tires.

I want to do a 2" level but all the hassle people are talking about makes me weary to do so, yet a ton of people seem to have them on and have no issues.

Is a majority of the vibration issues just in 2009s??? Any one notice that the 2011s use a different leveling kit than the 09-10s on some websites? On ready lifts website the 2" level kit use to have bump stops in the kit for your upper a arm, now the 09-10 kits dont need it but the 2011 kit does???? so just a strut spacer should work like a $70 aluminum one off ebay being they are now ready lift is making aluminum spacers...... I would think anything that mimics the mopar level should work and be fine.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 AM
bosssman
Amateur

Originally Posted by oldjeep
I assume he meant, have you ever changed the differential fluid?
How many miles have you got on it?

When you are testing in 4wd are you running on dry pavement?
was testing on snow

The 4x4 doesnt disengage right away....if at all, and when I put it in 4x4 wheels straight, give it gas the truck stops itself quite fast (as if I was putting the brakes on) the nose of the truck dips and rocks back

the mechanic I had with me right away said the front diff is f'ed

Old 11-29-2010, 11:06 PM
renos09
Veteran

I am removing my 2'' spacers because of the vibration also. The truck shakes on take off when in 4x4 mode. Plus the tires do not sit completely flat, because the suspension sits higher it forces the tires to sit like this, left tire\ right tire /. I have premature wear on both the outside of my front tires. My feeling is if you are gonna lift it do it the right way and the spacers definitely do not work with Dodge trucks.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 AM
Revo
Professional

Originally Posted by renos09
I am removing my 2'' spacers because of the vibration also. The truck shakes on take off when in 4x4 mode. Plus the tires do not sit completely flat, because the suspension sits higher it forces the tires to sit like this, left tire\ right tire /. I have premature wear on both the outside of my front tires. My feeling is if you are gonna lift it do it the right way and the spacers definitely do not work with Dodge trucks.
It's because you need an alignment and possibly a camber kit any time you touch the suspension of a vehicle.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by renos09
I had it aligned twice, there is no more camber left to adjust. Upon installing the spacers my mechanic and I had to depress the suspension to the point that we barely got the spacer in place. It's not normal for the tires to sit like that. The proper way is you need differnt upper control arms and cv axle that angles differently, such as the Kore kit.
Proper way is to lift IFS is to swap in a straight axle.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM
renos09
Veteran

I had it aligned twice, there is no more camber left to adjust. Upon installing the spacers my mechanic and I had to depress the suspension to the point that we barely got the spacer in place. It's not normal for the tires to sit like that. The proper way is you need differnt upper control arms and cv axle that angles differently, such as the Kore kit.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM
dline
Professional

yep i had a daystar leveling kit on my 2010 truck vibrated badly, took the kit off, leveling kits aren't happy on 4th gens, specially the daystar, and it rode like crap too

thats why i opted for the 1.25" body lift

Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM
bosssman
Amateur

Dropped the truck at the dealer

They are going to take a look at whats going on, and also there was 4 recalls to be completed which I never got notification for :S

Quick Reply: Update to 4x4 vibration thread