4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Backup sensors, mirror, navigation issues :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 PM
CaliAthlete85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup sensors, mirror, navigation issues :(

First, the navigation...works great, except when I first got my truck, and linked my iPhone to the bluetooth, it picked up everything off my iphone fine for callerID. It would display the full name and number. Now, it only displays the number...if I'm lucky. Occasionally it'll just say:

Incoming call
PH00D0WI0-033-02AHK[][] (not exact letters, but the general gist of it. It's a bunch of random crap)

Took it to the dealership, they said they updated the software, tested it with their guy's iPhone, and it was working properly again...but as soon as I got in the truck it didn't work properly with my phone and still didn't display the names of people calling/being called. Figured it might just be because I hadn't updated my iPhone, so I drove home and updated...no dice, still does it. On to the safety gripes...

I've had my right side mirror replaced under warranty once so far. I have a 1500 Laramie, and one of the options is to have your mirrors tilt down when in reverse, and back up when you shift out of reverse. Well, my right side kept sticking, either tilting down and not back up, or just not tilting down at all, pretty much at random but it was annoying to have it stick down and then glance over to change lanes and find myself looking at the lane lines. So, I got it replaced...and the new one tilts down about 3x as far so that I'm staring at the ground where someone would be standing to get into the truck. This one, too, occasionally doesn't come back up, and tilts down in varying degrees whenever it feels like (though all much steeper than the previous mirror).

Backup sensors - I've noticed they tend to beep intermittently when there's an object such as a stop sign, small tree, people, anything relatively skinny and small behind me. As in, they'll give me a half *** beep or be--- and return my music to my ears. Apparently, they also fail to notice fire hydrants, because they gave me a half beep, stopped beeping, and I looked in my mirrors and thought they had only beeped for the parking curb (which turned out to be around the fire hydrant, but my tailgate hung over the curb easily far enough to hit the hydrant before my tires hit the curb). Long story short, I backed into a fire hydrant. Called Chrysler, explained the problems I've been having, they sent a tech out to meet me at the dealership to investigate. After my truck being there for an hour and a half with him doing who knows what, I get it back, he says they'll be getting in touch with me but he can't tell me any type of verdict or even whether or not he found the problem. About a week later, I get a letter in the mail from Chrysler saying my truck is in perfect working condition and they found absolutely no problems with anything, and specifically will not be paying to fix my bumper despite the sensors not going off for something I couldn't see in my mirrors.

Anyone else having similar issues? How'd you resolve them? Any ideas here? As it stands, I'm going to have to either pay cash to fix my bumper or file an insurance claim, but that doesn't fix the sensors, mirror, or navigation...though I'll be taking the truck back (again) for the mirror and navigation issues.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backup sensors are to detect people and cars, not small objects. Nothing other than paying attention and learning how to drive can stop you from backing into fire hydrants or signs.

CAUTION!

The Rear Park Assist is only a parking aid and it is
unable to recognize every obstacle, including
small obstacles. Parking curbs might be temporarily
detected or not detected at all. Obstacles
located above or below the sensors will not be
detected when they are in close proximity.

The vehicle must be driven slowly when using the
Rear Park Assist to be able to stop in time when
the obstacle is detected. It is recommended that the
driver look over his/her shoulder when using the
Rear Park Assist.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:44 PM
kpevin
Veteran

Radio is buggy with an iPhone, no getting around that.

http://mofv.com/mygig/ is a good source for info, I have the same problems with the latest software REN and RER radios in the ram and Jeep I have. All started since I upgraded to OS 4 on my 3GS iPhone. The 4.0 iphone upgrade also screwed up the Sync BT in Fords as well, if I could go back to OS 3 on the iphone I would.

I use the tilt downs on the mirrors twice a day for over a year now, no issues except I would like to able to adjust how far they go. Other than that they work perfect.

I have 3 vehicles with the rear sensors, Dodge 1500, Jeep and a BMW. Absolutely worthless IMO, luckily the Jeep also has a camera or my wife would have backed into many things by now. I wouldnt trust those sensors at all in any of my cars, not hard to find an object that they miss, works OK on the garage wall though..

Old 11-30-2010, 02:47 PM
CaliAthlete85

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Backup sensors are to detect people and cars, not small objects. Nothing other than paying attention and learning how to drive can stop you from backing into fire hydrants or signs.

CAUTION!

The Rear Park Assist is only a parking aid and it is
unable to recognize every obstacle, including
small obstacles. Parking curbs might be temporarily
detected or not detected at all. Obstacles
located above or below the sensors will not be
detected when they are in close proximity.

The vehicle must be driven slowly when using the
Rear Park Assist to be able to stop in time when
the obstacle is detected. It is recommended that the
driver look over his/her shoulder when using the
Rear Park Assist.

Except, it doesn't detect people all the time either. Or cars. And if one on the dealership floor can detect a stuffed animal thrown on the ground behind it as a demonstration to potential buyers as to how sensitive they are, why can't mine pick up a fire hydrant? Really appreciate the learn how to drive comment btw, completely relevant here. I've been driving for 12 years with 0 accidents and 0 tickets, and driven everything from civics to bentleys to humvees to tanks. How's your record?

Oh, and I believe I already stated that the fire hydrant was not visible in any of my mirrors, and I WAS looking over my shoulder.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM
CaliAthlete85

Originally Posted by kpevin
Radio is buggy with an iPhone, no getting around that.

http://mofv.com/mygig/ is a good source for info, I have the same problems with the latest software REN and RER radios in the ram and Jeep I have. All started since I upgraded to OS 4 on my 3GS iPhone. The 4.0 iphone upgrade also screwed up the Sync BT in Fords as well, if I could go back to OS 3 on the iphone I would.

I use the tilt downs on the mirrors twice a day for over a year now, no issues except I would like to able to adjust how far they go. Other than that they work perfect.

I have 3 vehicles with the rear sensors, Dodge 1500, Jeep and a BMW. Absolutely worthless IMO, luckily the Jeep also has a camera or my wife would have backed into many things by now. I wouldnt trust those sensors at all in any of my cars, not hard to find an object that they miss, works OK on the garage wall though..

yeah mine was supposed to have the rear view camera, but they ****ed up my order and neglected to put one in. Didn't charge me for it though so I didn't really make a big deal out of it, though now I wish I would have. Normally I don't really need or rely on the sensors, I just like having them, but in this case I was on a slanted parking lot backing straight up, wasn't really familiar with the parking lot, and couldn't turn either way because people on the sides of me parked hella close. I actually know a site where I can roll back the OS on the iPhones...I'll have to try that and see if that fixes the bluetooth linking. If so, I'll contact Apple and see if they have anything to say about it.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:52 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by CaliAthlete85
Except, it doesn't detect people all the time either. Or cars. And if one on the dealership floor can detect a stuffed animal thrown on the ground behind it as a demonstration to potential buyers as to how sensitive they are, why can't mine pick up a fire hydrant? Really appreciate the learn how to drive comment btw, completely relevant here. I've been driving for 12 years with 0 accidents and 0 tickets, and driven everything from civics to bentleys to humvees to tanks. How's your record?

Oh, and I believe I already stated that the fire hydrant was not visible in any of my mirrors, and I WAS looking over my shoulder.
Unless the hydrant was in the middle of the street, there is no reason you should hit one. It means that you took the back of your truck over a curb. As for my driving record - no accidents, been driving for 25 years.

I believe that your record is now 1 accident 0 tickets

Old 11-30-2010, 03:10 PM
CaliAthlete85

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Unless the hydrant was in the middle of the street, there is no reason you should hit one. It means that you took the back of your truck over a curb. As for my driving record - no accidents, been driving for 25 years.

I believe that your record is now 1 accident 0 tickets
Touche with the record...but no, I didn't drive over a curb. My bumper hit the hydrant before my tires hit the curb. It's a random *** spot for a hydrant, right in the middle of a parking lot, no curbs or bushes or anything around except the tiny little parking curbs around it.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:19 PM
oldjeep
Champion

By drive over the curb I meant that you put your truck over the curb not the tires.

In any event, I believe that there are a couple writeups on this site about adding the backup camera to the truck if that was an option you wanted.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:27 PM
72combo
Champion

Don't you look at where you are backing up into before you actually do it?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:14 PM
CaliAthlete85

Originally Posted by 72combo
Don't you look at where you are backing up into before you actually do it?
Do you read threads before asking sarcastic questions that have already been answered?

Quick Reply: Backup sensors, mirror, navigation issues :(