4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2010 Ram door handle not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 PM
milestone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Ram door handle not working

I went to get in my truck and the door handle won't open the door on the drivers side. It moves fine but doesn't seem to do anything at all inside, although it still moves back in position properly, but it doesn't open the door at all.

It is a 2010 ram sport so I assume this will be a warranty issue... anyone else have this problem?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 PM
milestone
Rookie
Default .

Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Secret Agent Man
Captain

The link rod inside the door that connects the door handle to the latch probably popped out of its socket. Its an easy fix, but yes it should be covered by warranty.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:34 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you open the door from the inside?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 PM
milestone
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Can you open the door from the inside?
yes it still works from inside

how hard is it to get the door panel off? I see torx screws all around the panel, but they don't seem to be engaged in anything... if I take the screws out, how do I pop the panel out, do I lift up and out? is there a clip system too?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:38 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by milestone
yes it still works from inside

how hard is it to get the door panel off? I see torx screws all around the panel, but they don't seem to be engaged in anything... if I take the screws out, how do I pop the panel out, do I lift up and out? is there a clip system too?
Pretty easy to remove it.
1) Pull off the triangular piece by the mirror
2) remove all those torx screws, then remove the plastic piece they are in - its kind of like a drywall expander
3) Pop the cover off the screw under the inside door handle and remove that screw - then remove the plastic piece the screw was holding down
4) pop the switch panel up and disconnect the wires

Then just lift up on the door panel and it'll come off.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:48 PM
milestone
Rookie

Pretty easy to remove it.
1) Pull off the triangular piece by the mirror
2) remove all those torx screws, then remove the plastic piece they are in - its kind of like a drywall expander
3) Pop the cover off the screw under the inside door handle and remove that screw - then remove the plastic piece the screw was holding down
4) pop the switch panel up and disconnect the wires

Then just lift up on the door panel and it'll come off.

thanks oldjeep, that helped me a lot, but I have a further problem

I got all that off, but it is too difficult to try to squeeze my hand up to try to reconnect the arm, so I figure I need to take the next layer off.... there are big bolts all around, I took the ones around the corner off, but the panel still seems to be tight to the door, I see a bolt end that is screwed in from the other side, presumably the window apparatus.... what is the trick to get to the mechanism I need to?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 AM
oldjeep
Champion

I've never removed the carrier plate on mine, but here are the directions on how to do it from the FSM
http://oldjeep.com/files/DoorPanel.xps

Old 12-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Attono
Veteran

Take it to the dealer. If you cause other damage and they see that you've been goofing with it, they may assume that this issue self-imposed and make you pay for the repairs altogether.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:26 PM
milestone
Rookie

I've never removed the carrier plate on mine, but here are the directions on how to do it from the FSM
http://oldjeep.com/files/DoorPanel.xps
thanks oldjeep, it looks like an intimidating job

I still am driving around with the handle not working, I have my door panel off, but I haven't touched the carrier plate, I wish there was a way I could fix this problem without having to go that deep

I got my hand way up through that access hole but couldn't seem to get the pieces to go together, it would be nice if I knew what I was actually trying to accomplish exactly, maybe I should buy a mirror to try to get a better look up there, my hand was bleeding from trying to wrestle around blindly in the tight quarters... seems like there is a little hole on the mechanism of the handle, maybe that is what the rod popped out of... I'll try again and maybe get a mirror, I hope it is just a simple pressure fit and nothing is broken

Quick Reply: 2010 Ram door handle not working