4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2010 ram factory Alarm install after?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 01:16 AM
milestone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 ram factory Alarm install after?

my truck didn't come with a factory alarm or remote start, I am wondering now if the alarm would have scared off the thief before they did as much damage as they did, how well does the factory alarm work in the 2010 rams?

would I be better off going with an aftermarket brand alarm? I am thinking that a flashing Led light on the dash might have been a deterrent, as well as something that would squawk while he was jamming the screwdriver into my door handle.

does the factory alarm have a visible flashing light on the dash? does the alarm go off if they manage to open the door lock and open the door? how hard of an install is it?

any comments on alarm solutions for these newer Rams would be welcome, thanks

Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 AM
rolltidehemi
Captain

4th does have the flasing light, may or may not of prevented the incident, to install the factory alarm is pretty simple, did it on my 3rd gen also installed the RF key, but the problem is you have to have access to the starscan tool before install or you wont be able to start vehicle without first programming the new keys, the old system was three small items (alarm module, key RF receiver, and the shock sensor), also need access to wiring schematic. I was able to get the old programmer from the shop manager due and old GFs mom worked at the dealer, pretty simple if you can get otherwise pay the money.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Ironhead
Professional

My truck did not come with the factory alarm or remote start. I had the remote start installed by the dealer and asked him to activate the alarm at the same time. I was told if your vehicle did not come from the factory with an alarm it cannot be added.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 PM
milestone
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ironhead
My truck did not come with the factory alarm or remote start. I had the remote start installed by the dealer and asked him to activate the alarm at the same time. I was told if your vehicle did not come from the factory with an alarm it cannot be added.
hmm, I guess that makes my decision for me then, I'll have to go with an aftermarket alarm then

Old 12-20-2010, 06:55 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain

Don't always believe what the dealer tells you, they usually don't have a clue on these items, unless it's staring them in the face and even then they would dispute it, went through this with the locking tailgate for the 4th gen and the alarm on the 3rd gen.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 PM
milestone
Rookie

which aftermarket alarm system would you guys recommend for a 2010 ram?

I want something that will provide good visual deterrence and also go off if someone manages to open the door by slipping something in to the locking system to lift it.

Quick Reply: 2010 ram factory Alarm install after?