4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rusty Bumpers!??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:54 PM
DodgeNweave
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty Bumpers!??

Hey guys, wondering if rust has showed up on anyone elses front bumper.
I have a blue/gray TRX4. Was washing my truck really well a couple days ago, and noticed the front bumper was extremely chipped up and every chip was showing rust. Looking closer I'm see that the gray paint is very thin and there is no primer coat under the paint, and not a very good clearcoat over. Funny thing is the blue paint above has barely any chips, but is most plastic under not metal, I guess that makes a diff.
I took it to the dealer I bought it from and had the Service manager look at it. He tried to ask me if Ive driven on gravel roads or anything, Id say about .5% of drive time is on gravel, but I told him after one year there shouldnt be a speck of rust on the vehicle. He agreed, and is contacting the District manager apparently. Havn't heard back yet, 4 days.
Anyway, a point of concern is, which I told him I wanted checked, is underneath the plastic bedliner. They didn't have the spray in yet when I bought the truck. At least they didn't offer it. But the bedliner is showing substantial paint wear around the edges. I am worried that it will wear and rust underneath, causing a much bigger issue. Told the manager that.
Now, my thought is. The plastic bedliner is a piece of crap, if they will do paint repair on the bed, wouldnt it be cheaper for them to just do a spray-in, and they can have the stupid plastic one back, as obviously the paint is to soft to handle ANY kind of rubbing. Seems fair to me. Thoughts on this??

Old 12-26-2010, 03:34 PM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Type into any dodge forum "Bumper Rust" & "Rusty Bumpers" and you`ll pull up ALL kinds of issues with dodge "painted and chrome" bumpers.
This is definatly nothing new, ther`s tons of complaints about it on most forums about them rusting.
I had my chrome bumpers replaced after 3 months old on my first 2010 dodge ram1500.
Then 3 to 4 months after replacing them with new ones, they started rusting again. (since have sold the truck, so no more issue here)
Quality is everything, but not by todays standards. Sooo, see if they will replace them for free, and then when the warranty runs out, go get them re-done by a local paintshop pro. Factory SHIIT quality is the main problem, so replacing them isnt going to stop the problem, it will continue to rust.

As for your bed, i recommend the "Sprayed in Bedliner"
That will keep it from rusting from the topside anyway.
Get rid of the bedliner, as that will scrape the paint all off and leave you with bare metal.

Good Luck...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 AM
trashman139
Veteran

research this subject. i would highly reccomend resolving the issue my bumpers both were covered in little chips and i actually went deeper and grinded and sanded my bumpers down and had them line-Xed. the little chip is actually about the size of a quarter between the paint and the steel bumper its like cancer it will just get worse. i didn't want any dealer telling me the issues were going to get resolved so i decided to have the bumpers done i was going to have them sprayed anyway. i can tell you that my rusty bumper is solid now no rust for sure.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 AM
RX1_NS
Amateur

Good luck getting any service. i have an 09 stone white sport and i had rust spots where the front of the box and the sides are riveted together every rivet rusted out. they fixed it and there is spots all on the side of my box and bottom of the doors and the manager told me should of bought a dark colored vehicle. I like my ram but i won't buy another one just cause of ****ty service

Old 12-27-2010, 12:06 PM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by RX1_NS
Good luck getting any service. i have an 09 stone white sport and i had rust spots where the front of the box and the sides are riveted together every rivet rusted out. they fixed it and there is spots all on the side of my box and bottom of the doors and the manager told me should of bought a dark colored vehicle. I like my ram but i won't buy another one just cause of ****ty service
I have to agree... its sad but true... dodge built a really nice LOOKING truck, but thats where it stops for me.
The quality of these trucks really suck, (ford and chevy AND toyota included) just as much as their dealership sales & services. This will be my last dodge product. Soon as i pay it down, its history. I`ll never buy new again, i`ll go back to buying used vehicles and run`m into the ground, then go buy another used one and run THAT one into the ground. I thought if i bought new, i could make it last longer than buying a bunch of used ones. What an expensive $45,000 dollar mistake. When the trust and respect are gone, these motor companies & dealers always wonder why they`re loosing HUGE business by the day.

Last edited by HEMI5150; 12-27-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM
GapRunr
Rookie

Same issue here.

I had 1,500 miles on my truck and there were 30 or so rust spots on the front painted bumper. My bumper is rusting horribly on the back side, and there doesn't appear to be any primer on it under the paint, and the rear is unfinished. The bumper rusts under the paint, the paint flakes off, and the rust is exposed. My dealer had their service manager look at it. He stood in front of the truck with his coffee cup in his hand, glanced down at the bumper quickly, and said "That's a metal bumper, they all do that". I asked him to show me just one other truck on the lot, new or used, that had these rust spots on the bumper and he walked away. I called Chrysler corporate customer service, and they were of absolutely no help. They said if the dealer doesn't want to involve the regional rep, or doesn't want to escalate this further, then there is nothing they can do to help me.

It's really no wonder why these manufacturer are in such hard times. I sure don't have the desire to buy any other Chrysler product after seeing the customer service they provide.

It's sad really. You would think that they would want to determine how this happened so that they can prevent it from happening on all their other vehicles.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:31 PM
RX1_NS
Amateur

it's digusting to spend this much money and have rust on a truck that is brand new and have service that makes ya never want to go back. my truck has 3 year or 60 000kms warrenty on it for everything and 5 year 100 000kms powertrain. after my 60 km warrenty is up my truck will not be back to the dodge dealership for anything ever again. lots of good mechanic shops around then them.

i'm same as hemi5150 soon as i can get anything back out of my truck to trade it's gone. and i will say they do have the best looking truck on the road and beyond that that's it.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 PM
RX1_NS
Amateur

i hope some of the dodge reps or service managers read these things and how how people feel about their trucks

Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 PM
ridem high
Veteran

I don't have any rust showing through on my front bumper,but I do on the inside lip of my tailgate on both sides,were the lip contacts to rubber bump stops on the bedsides.Not real bad yet,but disturbing!Do you think the stealer ship would agree to fix it,or even replace my tailgate?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by RX1_NS
i hope some of the dodge reps or service managers read these things and how how people feel about their trucks
RX1,
i hope you are right, but its gonna take alot more than "them" to ever convince me to buy another one of their products NEW ever again
The way i look at it, if they gave 2 fugg`s about it, they would have done something about it long ago.
Have you seen lately, that dodge stepped up the amount of warrantee time for 2011...? (5yr/100,000)
The only reason they did that was, so they could SELL more trucks than the others...
BUT they did absolutely NOTHING to help out the people with warrantee issue`s, like you.

Quality is a thing of the past.... its all about quantity today. It equals GREED...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by HEMI5150; 12-28-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Rusty Bumpers!??