4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

249 deg F oil trans temp- thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:31 AM
dodgeran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 249 deg F oil trans temp- thoughts

I hit 121 deg c with mine while 4 wheeling this wknd....that is 249 f.
Called 3 dealers all said no problem....if light for check eng did not come on....

What are your thoughts...service reps are not mechanics but that is what I was told???

Truck ran 112 most of way in on fields (pheasant hunt) then hit 121 once so I shut it down....on way back on my trail (2 miles across fields) it ran 105.....

Had I not had this option I would not know temp....oil does not smell burnt...and have run my 03 ram this hard before...but happen to hit vehicle info as I knew I was working the truck but did not feel it was excessive...it is a 2010 ram 5.7 l auto with 8oookm
Thanks!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:39 AM
pacific nw guy
Professional
Default ignorance is bliss....

you are right if we didn't have the option we wouldn't know and wouldn't worry! same thing with the internet. I bought this truck, got on this forum and began to think I made a bad decision because of all the complaining. 1 year later I have ZERO issues.

I feel that we have to trust the engineers who built the vehicle to know what it can do. If they consider 249 safe who am I or anyone to question them. I have a lifetime warranty on my truck and I am not going to add or delete anything as I dont think DOdge would warranty a trans problem if the saw I added a cooler. Yeah a cooler is a benefit but without it coming from the factory someone could say it caused a problem.

I am sure a lot of you will disagree but I also know that a lot of you dont really know what you are talking about.......

Old 12-30-2010, 10:56 AM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

A forum search of "transmission temp" will reveal what you want to know. Bottom line: change tranny fluid more often than standard interval.

Quick Reply: 249 deg F oil trans temp- thoughts