4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Recon Xenon Headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011 | 02:03 PM
5.7x28mm
|
Professional
Default Recon Xenon Headlight bulbs?

I'm probably just an idiot and don't understand the whole HID thing, but has anyone seen these headlight bulbs by recon?

They claim to be xenon bulbs and I think they have 3 different color temp. ranges, but I was under the impression that xenon bulbs were only available as HID conversion kit. These bulbs look like they just plug and play into the stock wiring (although it doesn't exactly say that in the description). And they only cost $35 or so, so they definitely don't have ballasts and that kind of thing with them.

Can someone teach me what these are? Are these fake xenon or what?

So, I guess my question is - do xenon bulbs that are NOT HID's exist, or are they really just fancy halogens that someone is pulling a marketing scheme by calling them Xenon? And, if they do exist, are they any good if you compare them to, say, Silverstars?

Thanks a lot, guys.

http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...White&p_cat=71

Last edited by 5.7x28mm; 01-13-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2011 | 06:39 PM
JohnVI
Veteran

Have you called them, ask for Ryann over there. And don't forget to use DODGEFORUM as the coupon to get a discount.

Yes, you can get either the XEON HID kit, ballast/light-bulb, the works. This is 99% similar to luxury cars/suvs like the infinity's, and so on. Or you can get the bulb itself that contains the gas to produce the light output. The gas is what gives the bulb its white/white appearance.

Old 01-13-2011 | 10:43 PM
Minarets

Hmm, I am interested too. I think I am going to pull the trigger on some osram night brakers, maybe.

Old 01-14-2011 | 04:32 AM
TDTIPMO
Veteran

um...ok. There is a difference in HID bulbs and your regular Hallogen bulbs. Those bulbs you're talking about are direct replacement bulbs. They're not HID's. I doubt they're as bright as HID's either. RECON is a good company though so I'm sure they will be a good upgrade from your factory hallogen bulbs. One thing I would be worried about is the current that the bulbs pull. A few years ago I bought some "xenon" bulbs for my 04 Monte and they ended up melting the wires that run to the bulb. Could have been a fluke I suppose. Just saying. Anyway, to answer your question, yes you can get Xenon bulbs that aren't HID. Are these better than silverstar? I would assume that they are, only because they are Xenon and Silverstar's are hallogen. Which means brighter light. Anyway, just my two cents. Hopefully this answered your question.

Old 01-14-2011 | 11:15 AM
5.7x28mm
|
Professional

Originally Posted by TDTIPMO
um...ok. There is a difference in HID bulbs and your regular Hallogen bulbs. Those bulbs you're talking about are direct replacement bulbs. They're not HID's. I doubt they're as bright as HID's either. RECON is a good company though so I'm sure they will be a good upgrade from your factory hallogen bulbs. One thing I would be worried about is the current that the bulbs pull. A few years ago I bought some "xenon" bulbs for my 04 Monte and they ended up melting the wires that run to the bulb. Could have been a fluke I suppose. Just saying. Anyway, to answer your question, yes you can get Xenon bulbs that aren't HID. Are these better than silverstar? I would assume that they are, only because they are Xenon and Silverstar's are hallogen. Which means brighter light. Anyway, just my two cents. Hopefully this answered your question.
Thanks for the excellent explanation.

The thing that caught my eye was the 11,000-hour lifespan of these bulbs - I believe that Silverstars are supposed to have a 1000-hour lifespan.

In WA state, where I live, we have some of the most **** vehicle limitations in the country, so HID's aren't worth the risk of getting pulled over to me. But I guess that melting your wiring would be worse than getting a ticket, probably. It would cost more to rectify the situation, at least.

Thanks again, everyone.

Old 01-15-2011 | 03:39 AM
TDTIPMO
Veteran

No problem glad I could help. Hopefully they work out like you're expecting.

Old 01-15-2011 | 08:58 PM
evylmyke

if you're talking about the 30$ xenon bulbs they recommend with the headlights, they're horrible. bad light output, aren't close to white at all, don't waste your money. Wait for the HIDs

Old 01-16-2011 | 12:49 PM
5.7x28mm
|
Professional

Originally Posted by evylmyke
if you're talking about the 30$ xenon bulbs they recommend with the headlights, they're horrible. bad light output, aren't close to white at all, don't waste your money. Wait for the HIDs
Thanks for the opinion, evylmike. Sounds like one "no" vote. I'm not going to risk HID's around my area, though. And I don't really want Silverstars, since they have such a short life-span, and it seems like such a PITA to change these headlights out.

Any suggestions for a decent headlight, that's not HID? Are the PIAA Hyper-White's (I think that's what they are called) any good?

Old 01-16-2011 | 02:53 PM
BCRam2010

I have the PIAA superbrite hi and low beams installed. Got them onsale for 80CDN a set (reg was listed as 199CDN), dealer charged 50 for install.

So are they brighter and worth the money: well they seem to be brighter and have a whiter output, however this is in the city, I have not had a chance to head out in the bush yet (to busy at work), the true test will be on dark and winding roads away from the city, so till then I can,t really say that they are a huge difference from stock.

Old 01-16-2011 | 04:29 PM
Minarets

Wow. $50 for install in CDN? That is awesome! My dealer wants $90 USD to change the bulbs.

Quick Reply: Recon Xenon Headlight bulbs?