4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hitch Cover, Brake Light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Dispatch
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hitch Cover, Brake Light?

For a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500, does anyone have a hitch cover 3rd brake light that fits? I bought 2 kinds and both would not work. They were the 4 pin type. The supplied wire was too short, there was also no place to 'tuck' the wire behind the bumper, license plate or trailer hitch. Does anyone have one that actually fits without any modification?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:59 PM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dispatch
For a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500, does anyone have a hitch cover 3rd brake light that fits? I bought 2 kinds and both would not work. They were the 4 pin type. The supplied wire was too short, there was also no place to 'tuck' the wire behind the bumper, license plate or trailer hitch. Does anyone have one that actually fits without any modification?
I went to my local auto parts store and bought a "break-out" tail light trailer harness kit.
The kit is plug-n-play. Unplug your tail light harness, plug the kit in-line, then plug your hitch light into it.
You will have to figure out where to hide the extra harness wiring, but i put mine up inside the bumber.
Then i wire tied it down under my hitch to connect it to the hitch light.

These "add-on" trailer light harness kits can be purchased most anywhere.
(Napa, Autozone, AdvanceAuto, PepBoys, Walmart)
Its a very exspensive way to go, but it is the most effective way to add the hitch light.
The hitch wiring break-out kit is watertight, no issues with corrosion or messed up wiring issues down the road later.

I like the break-out kit wiring method because you dont see any ugly added wiring in plain sight. Some guys just add wiring to the hitch light and have it plugged into the factory hook-up. To me, thats just an ugly thing to look at. Mine is so well hiddin that i`ve actually had other 4th gen guys checkin out how i modded it to fit and look so good.

Anyhow, hope this helps..... & Good Luck...!

Old 01-16-2011, 02:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I picked one up a couple of years ago for all of $10 at an auto accessory shop located in a flea market. Was either in Jacksonville, Fl. or Savannah, Ga., I can't remember which one.

Plenty of wire. You can see the excess, usually I've got it wrapped around the the hitch once or twice to hide it.

Hell, if you ain't got enough wire on your'n, pick up a six or twelve inch 4-pin extension for all of $2. Because of all the accessories I've built for the rear hitches on my truck and Jeep and the front hitch of my Jeep, I bought a dozen of those extenders a couple of years ago.

They come in VERY handy for making quick connects that are water tight. This here is an aux. light I made for a hitch and utilized a $2 extender. All I did was cut into the power wire and solder in an inline switch. I just let the excess hang on that summbiotch cause it don't stay on the truck...

Name:  0608000919.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  67.3 KB

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-16-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Dispatch
Rookie
Question Pics?

Originally Posted by HEMI5150
I went to my local auto parts store and bought a "break-out" tail light trailer harness kit.
The kit is plug-n-play. Unplug your tail light harness, plug the kit in-line, then plug your hitch light into it.
You will have to figure out where to hide the extra harness wiring, but i put mine up inside the bumber.
Then i wire tied it down under my hitch to connect it to the hitch light.

These "add-on" trailer light harness kits can be purchased most anywhere.
(Napa, Autozone, AdvanceAuto, PepBoys, Walmart)
Its a very exspensive way to go, but it is the most effective way to add the hitch light.
The hitch wiring break-out kit is watertight, no issues with corrosion or messed up wiring issues down the road later.

I like the break-out kit wiring method because you dont see any ugly added wiring in plain sight. Some guys just add wiring to the hitch light and have it plugged into the factory hook-up. To me, thats just an ugly thing to look at. Mine is so well hiddin that i`ve actually had other 4th gen guys checkin out how i modded it to fit and look so good.

Anyhow, hope this helps..... & Good Luck...!
You wouldn't happen to have any pics, would yea?

Old 01-16-2011, 10:28 PM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dispatch
You wouldn't happen to have any pics, would yea?
geeeeeez dude, no i dont have any pictures, so sorry man.
I`m not good with a camera at all, so i dont ever take pics of anything.
Prolly a good thing that i dont...lol, people on here would pick on me how **** i am about my work.
I`m r-e-a-l picky about the quality of my custom fabs and installs on everything i do or build.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:36 PM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I picked one up a couple of years ago for all of $10 at an auto accessory shop located in a flea market. Was either in Jacksonville, Fl. or Savannah, Ga., I can't remember which one.

Plenty of wire. You can see the excess, usually I've got it wrapped around the the hitch once or twice to hide it.

Hell, if you ain't got enough wire on your'n, pick up a six or twelve inch 4-pin extension for all of $2. Because of all the accessories I've built for the rear hitches on my truck and Jeep and the front hitch of my Jeep, I bought a dozen of those extenders a couple of years ago.

They come in VERY handy for making quick connects that are water tight. This here is an aux. light I made for a hitch and utilized a $2 extender. All I did was cut into the power wire and solder in an inline switch. I just let the excess hang on that summbiotch cause it don't stay on the truck...

Dam youuuu HAMMER, you got all the KOOL shiznizzle gadget`s

Ok, thats IT, i`m buildin one of those hi-power supergitterdone blow your eyes out bright light hitch lights like you got...Dat`s Kewl...!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I'm of the school that believes a hitch receiver is a like a swiss army knife in that just about anything you can make and weld a 2" square pipe onto can be carried on the back (or front) of your vehicle.

Some other stuff:

Name:  100_0141-1.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  156.6 KB

Name:  100_0147.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  100_0135.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  73.7 KB

Next up is a fishing rod holder for surf fishing, complete with tackle tray and of course a beer can holder, LOL...

Old 01-17-2011, 12:24 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'm of the school that believes a hitch receiver is a like a swiss army knife in that just about anything you can make and weld a 2" square pipe onto can be carried on the back (or front) of your vehicle.

Some other stuff:

Next up is a fishing rod holder for surf fishing, complete with tackle tray and of course a beer can holder, LOL...

HAMMER...!!!!!... thats some KOOOOOOOOOOOL chit man...!!!!! Just totally AWESOME lookin stuff...!!!!!
Fishinrod surf fishin.... good god i almost fell outta my dam chair laughin bro....heheheheheeee
Thats fuggin awesome man....lol, now i got some work cut out for me nowwwww...lol

Old 01-17-2011, 07:24 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah, Cabelas wants like $150 for this lousy rod holder.

I'm thinking I can make one that's hell of a lot more functional with maybe a small tackle tray and a can holder on each side for maybe $25-30 in materials. Probably do aluminum and braze it together. I've got aluminum brazing rods for my gas welder. I don't have the proper stuff for my MIG to do aluminum. TIG welding it would be great, but I don't have a TIG.

Sorry Dispatch, kinda got this thread heading in another direction...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-17-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Hitch Cover, Brake Light?